We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
"A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

An excellent article about the safety of diving in Cozumel in my latest edition of "Alert Diver" magazine. It chronicles the newest hyperbaric chamber on the island. The magazine is put out by the DAN (Divers Alert Network) organization.

…cloudfront.net/Spring_2014_flip/…26

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

I saw the article also. The chamber is ran by DAN which is supposed to be non profit-I know some people that have a problem with this. i just renewed my DAN insurance but wouldn't use their chamber. There are four chambers on the island. Dr Piccolo at San miguel is the best IMHO. I will continue to use san miguel chamber if needed. I did meet Dario Gomes the DAN doctor and set next to his wife on the airplane.

I have also read about ambulances on the island intercepting calls and taking patients to their chamber when a call comes in. Being that my chamber ride was $8500 US getting a patient to their chamber i'm sure pays a nice commission. So if you have an emergncy make sure you know where you are being sent and that you actually go to the right place.

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
399 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

OKD...what is wrong with being non-profit? I know Dr. Piccolo too. He's a darned good guy. I did like what the article had to say about knowing when "not" to be put into a chamber as well as when to go into one.

It also sounds like money isn't an issue for DAN members:

"DAN's new Recompression Chamber Network Preferred Provider designation means......... the hospital administration has agreed to make the admission and treatment fees a nonissue for our members. All the member needs to do is walk in, receive care and walk out,"

Always good to have choices.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

OK well I guess I didn't think about it like DAN members not having to pay anything. I was thinking of people that would not have DAN, Will the DAN chamber accept non DAN members? My primary insurance covered me 100% and DAN didn't pay anything, but for the annual price it is still worth getting.,

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

AWESOME we are Dan members. Good to know

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

DAN members are supposed to have zero out of pocket at any recognized chamber here, as long as DAN is notified and approves treatment, which it usually does. All of the chambers in Cozumel are recognized. In fact, most standard insurance policies (vs. travel insurance and other supplementals) fully cover chamber treatments under the emergency provisions of the policy. (DAN always files with the primary insurer if there is one and only pays the non-covered portion of that policy -- or a portion thereof as it deems.) If there's a deductible on his regular policy, the patient needs to settle that at discharge.

At our chamber, the patient's health is our first concern and we will find a way to make any necessary treatment -- whether for decompression illness or for something else -- affordable.

The issues with DAN-owned chambers is complex. For one, it means that DAN is both the insurer and the medical provider. Those should be separate to eliminate conflicts about treatment or protocols, which happens more frequently that patients realize. Another is that it is a US not for profit organization, partnered with offshore, for-profit businesses...

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

Thanks Deb- you say it much better. I miss seeing you at the airport. They said you are at the ports. Be back in sept. Take care

Edited: 10 May 2014, 15:28
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

Haha. I love this place!! No, I'm not at the ports -- don't even have time these days to .buy groceries much less volunteer. Accepted a new challenge.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

Oh, shoot. I mis-spoke. DAN membership isn't sufficient for dive accident coverage. You need to buy their insurance, too.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

Ds2.....a couple of questions. You seem to have first hand information.

"at any recognized chamber here" -- what would be an example of a non-recognized chamber?

"At our chamber, the patient's health is our first concern" -- which chamber is your chamber?

"Another is that it is a US not for profit organization, partnered with offshore, for-profit businesses..." -- can you give us an example of this? Many non-profit organizations have investments in for-profit businesses as a means of growing their limited funds. Is DAN partnered with something in particular that we should be concerned about?

If your last post is correct, the article is definately mis-leading.

I've been a DAN member for many years. Luckily never had to use their services. Maybe I should know more about them than I do.

Thank you.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 15:44
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "A New Chamber in Cozumel"--article in Alert Diver magazine

I've been a DAN member with DAN-sponsored insurance as long as I've been diving because that's the smart play IMO and I don't have a big savings account. If you would like to take the balance of my answers as a PM, that would be best as this is a travel forum and we are skirting the edge of inappropriate material.