We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from shore El Coz

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Topic
Fishing from shore El Coz

I have read that fishing from shore is restricted from the pier to the southern part, but is it allowed, and successful, for that matter, from the northern areas? Like by El Coz? Have been to Cozumel before, loved it, stayed at Secrets. We want to take the kids this time, but need to stay somewhere where the teens can have fun and my 22 year old son can fish from shore if possible. Or, we could stay north and send him down south via taxi to fish the southern area. He is an excellent fly fisherman, and will most likely go with a guide for one day, but he prefers to be on his own for the most part.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from shore El Coz

I meant we could stay south and send him north via taxi.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from shore El Coz

You'll be fine almost anywhere. Bring lots of rigs as the hooks seem to get caught on the rocky bottom a lot. Round weights are better than triangular ones for the same reason. You can buy small amounts of shrimp and squid at the MEGA grocery store and just keep them on ice for the trip.

Silver spoons also work great for 'cuda.

I also see a lot of people fish along shore in the shallows just north of Las Brisas condos. I found a collapsible shore rod that is perfect for long casts and fits into a luggage bag on-line.

But if your son is into adventure, have him go spearfishing with Leo. The main "hunting" grounds is almost within site of El Coz. He will have a blast. www.SpearfishingToday.com is his main web page.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from shore El Coz

Thank you! When you say "almost anywhere", do you mean the whole island, or anywhere north of the pier?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing from shore El Coz

North of the pier and outside of the park is what I was referring to.

I see a lot of locals fishing in the rocky area just north of las Brisas. I see a lot fishing on the east side, too, but I don't know much about catching anything in that area.

5. Re: Fishing from shore El Coz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15