We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

While it will not have an impact on me since I never use dollars, this may impact some. Local media is reporting that the car ferry accepted a fake hundred which was the second in recent times. As a result, they are now requiring completion of a special id form before accepting the 100´s. If trying to use or exchange the bills on the island, you are likely now to encounter more securtiy measures at many places.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Robert,

do you know if it was the new $100?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Really, I don´t know, cd. While it has been widely reported, this artticle from Por Esto contains the only photos I have seen.

I just talked to a friend who is an island tour guide. He often is given the 100´s for payment by his customers but he will no longer accept them and said anyone he knows who is involved in tourism, is doing the same. Also said, he doesn´t want the additional paperwork and hassle to exchange them.

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Anyone concerned about the hassle involved in paying with US $100's should

a) keep in mind that plenty of places in the US strongly resist accepting them

b) pay in the local currency, Mexican pesos

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

I always kinda laugh when someone says where can i get change and all they have are hundreds. Why would you bring hundreds. It is to easy to get change in the US. why hassle with hundreds unless paying for hotel and big stuff in cash.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Agree, Mark. But my friends customers come from the cruise ships and often give him dollars, including 100´s. And those wanting to exchange them for pesos at money exchanges in Cozumel may find it a slower process. No problem for me. I have no dollars and pay all in pesos. Well, I do have one torn 5 dollar bill, ha ha.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

I'll buy that bill from you if you want. I know it's hard to use torn US currency.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

I'm bringing down a case of counterfeit detection felt tip pens. Let the bidding start.

As the new $100's roll in, I'm sure it will be a lot less harder to pass on the old ones. There is a noticeable difference between the old and new ones.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Thanks , Mark. But I will save it and try to get a few more before my next US trip. My tour guide friend is always my source of US dollars when I travel. He always seems to have a good stash. I always take his damaged ones off his hands to exchange when I go to the US.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

while I understand the concern of establishments choosing not to take 100 dollar bills, I think this is a gross overreaction. Pesos are my preferred method of payment in Cozumel ,sure. But I exchange dollars for those pesos. It would be really tough to carry a stack of 50"s big enough to finance 2-3 weeks in Cozumel with diving & other related expenses. I will probably choose to do business with establishments that can get things like counterfeit detection pens or other ways to assure themselves that my currency is good. If there were a genuine problem with 100's you would be hearing about it from everywhere. This problem is about as legitimate as the swine flu scare was

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Counterfeit $ 100 Bills

Joe,

My thoughts as well. Not very many people are going to give up potential work for a legitimate $100 bill. I have condo fees, commissions and taxes to pay. When I come down, I bring stacks of $100 bills to cover these bills.

And as mentioned above, I always make sure all my US currency is un-torn as torn currency is not accepted by the banks. I also take torn US bills back for friends when needed.

We were in Coz when the swine flu hype hit. My wife got an extra one week vacation at home courtesy of her employer who was too scared to let her come back to work after being in MX.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 21:49