We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Red Oak, Texas...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

We are considering a girls trip (some moms and daughters - age 13) and are looking for an inexpensive, yet FUN trip. Food is not a big deal - but must be good and HEALTHY (as in, not food poisoning or "traveler's tummy" issues)...but they are 13 year old girls, they don't want the fancy menus They want chicken nuggets, pizza, grilled cheese. haha

We also are wanting to snorkel straight from the beach at the resort - NO EXCURSIONS...no extra money for that. So, is this place fun enough for 13 year olds? They want to snorkel, watch movies on the beach at night, swim in a pool, lay out on the beach, play beach volleyball, dance to some good tunes, just have FUN.

Any suggestions?

We went to Dreams Puerto Aventuras and it ROCKED...may just go back there but wanted to try something different.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

IMHO, the snorkeling is fabulous right off the beach. We saw so many amazing things. But the food, the weakest part of the resort for sure.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

We just got home from Sunscape--group of 17 (5 teens from 13-17). The snorkeling off the beach is really good--MUST have water shoes as entrance to the water is very difficult on the feet.

As for the food, I wouldn't call it "healthy" but there are limited options. There do not offer chicken nuggets or grilled cheese sandwiches. There is hand made pizza available during a variety of hours. They will also deliver pizza to the rooms until 10pm if requested. There are hambugers and cheese quesadillas offered at the beachside grill (wait times are long but the grill was one of the places our kids liked the best).

It is expensive to go to town, or to really go anywhere in a taxi from this resort ($15 in each direction to downtown for 1 to 4 persons).

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and the price was very reasonable. We have also stayed at Dreams PTO. Sunscape is not rated on the same level, and in our opinion, that is fair; however, if Sunscape is still offering such reasonable rates, and you understand it doesn't offer all the frills, then it is a good option for the price.

Red Oak, Texas...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

That is fantastic about the snorkeling! Do they do movies on the beach? (those were their two "big items" they absolutely loved and want in this next trip).

Thanks for responding! Hopefully we can get a great place that is cheap. Sunscape Ixtapa looks awesome for what it offers and the price, but it looks like you can't snorkel off the beach. Sunscape Curacao has awesome snorkeling but it looks like the reviews are terrible???

Thanks again!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Sunscape Cozumel does show movies around the main (activity) pool on some evenings. I believe it was 3 movies in the week we were there. It's not on the beach but you can see the beach from where they show the movies.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Just don't expect it to be anything like a Dreams resort (nor will cost as much). If you go expecting a Dreams experience for a Sunscape price, you aren't going to be happy.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
110 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

We stayed at Sabor in December. It is kind of like an all inclusive Holiday Inn Express level- nothing fancy at all, but the price was right and it more than met our needs. It is NOT a luxury experience.

There was plenty of kid friendly food available. We found the Mexican restaurant to have some 'strange' food (often it did not match the description at all)- but the Italian you could get just plain pasta with tomato sauce. Burgers, nachos, quesadillas were always available and all very good, we never had a wait (but were there in December, maybe that's why?). We noticed they didn't always wash hands after touching raw, frozen burgers, but we never got sick. I thought the pizza was awful. Only food there I did not like. I don't drink alcohol, and bartenders were always willing to make me fun smoothie drinks with the available juices.

There are two pools, one with sports (basketball, volleyball). The snorkeling was decent off the beach, by the pier especially, don't go out toward the end though, too many boats.

I'd consider bringing water shoes, as the beach can be a little rocky, but we just dealt with it and went barefoot.

The rooms were nothing special, and got really humid (no fans in the bathroom even)- but we slept fine on the beds, and to us that was what mattered. There were movies most nights and shows on the other ones.

I'd only recommend the Sabor to someone looking for a budget vacation.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
866 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Have you looked at El Cozumeleno?

Red Oak, Texas...
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Thank you all so much for the info!

we are UVC members, so I'm looking to only go to AMResorts (so, "no" on el cozomeleno). Dreams Puerto Aventuras was perfect for us...the money was great and the hotel was old and dated and NOT luxury, but outside the hotel was the bomb with hobie cats, kayaking, snorkeling, water trampoline, movies on the beach, etc. The pool was HORRIBLE (small and HOT), my 13 yr old was too "old" for the trampoline (which was a bummer), but the ocean and beach fun made it all their favorite place so far (and we went to Dreams Riviera...more luxury...but not as active ocean-wise). The only reason we aren't going back there is because I got sick. I have a parasite in my intestines from either the food or water...I'm choosing to believe it was the ocean water (I swallowed a LOT when we were jumping off the rock ledge into the ocean), because of the 9 times we've been to an AMResort in 2 years...we have NEVER had a single bit of issues with health.

So, we are looking at either Sunscape Sabor, Sunscape Curacao or Sunscape Ixtapa....or we will forgo the whole ocean fun and try Now Sapphire or Jade (probably Sapphire).

Any thoughts you want to add would be greatly appreciated. :)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

The bug thing just might be some isolated incident... Out of 5 trips and 21 people total, we've caught a bug 3 times... I think it just happens sometimes, no matter where you are or what you do. Its called travelers diarrhea for a reason....

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
482 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunscape Sabor - Please advise!

Now Sapphire and Now Jade (have been to both) are also a step up from Sunscape Cozumel too but Sunscape has it's own personality being it's on Cozumel. I'd agree with the description above of a HI Express type place only with "all-inclusive" extras--plus a great staff. The water shoes, I'd upgrade to a "must", if you go to Sunscape Cozumel. Only one of our 7 kids was able to tough it out and get in for snorkeling without them--and that's only because she didn't want to run back to the room to get them. Luckily we did know ahead of time (thanks TripAdvisor) and we brought them for almost everyone. Sunscape has a trampoline available during limited hours--it's not a water tramopline, it's a real one on land near the kids club. Our kids ordered pizzas everyday (sometimes 8 pizzas at a time to feed our whole group). They'd make them special just for them.