We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum, gonna visit the fascinated Cozumel island in august, this’s my first caribbean trip, got a few questions on my planning:

1/ group of 4, I’m the only one who has diver license, others may do discovery diving, any operator recommend?

2/ any suggestion on snorkeling sites

3/ we will do snorkeling most the time, how much does it cost for mask rental? Would it be a good idea to purchase the whole set of mask snorkel n fins beforehand?

4/ we all want to spend one day on Maya cultural stuff like pyramid, shld we stay in Cozumel, isla mujeres or cancun?

5/ our trip will be after mid aug, hows the weather by then?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

For diving you will want to be on Cozumel. Snorkeling is good there too (as it is near Akumal on mainland).

Not much for snorkeling in Cancun.

Mainland would allow trips to Tulum and Chichen Itza, which are both better than the small ruins of San Gervaiso on Cozumel. Chichen Itza from Cozumel is an incredibly long day. Tulum is long as well but doable.

Depending on where you stay, most places have snorkel equipment available for you to use. We buy our own anyway just because we prefer better snorkels that only we use.

Mid August will be hot and humid with tropical showers periodically.. .hopefully nothing more severe (that IS hurricane season).

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

I would bring my own mask to guarantee a good fit. Aug. is hurricane season so you may get a lot of rain who knows. It will be HOT and HUMID. bring bug spray. It is also turtle nesting season and you can sign up to go help in the evenings on the east side. Stay in town,

Check scubaboard Cozumel for help picking a dive op,

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

on99 posted on Scubaboard before posting here, but I agree that's the place to get dive advice.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

Look into snorkeling with whale sharks from Isla Mujeres.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

thx for ur comment, do u think Akumal would do a better place for us if we gonna hv the following schedule:

1st day/ shore snorkeling out front the hotel

2nd day/ boat trip for snorkeling off shore

3rd day/ discovery dive

4th day/ Tulum n Coba day tour

5th day/ down town Cancun visit for half a day

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

thx for suggestion, thats wht i did~

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

hi steven, it's nice to c u here~

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

thats a gd idea, but my group r just new to snorkeling, not ready for that deep sea big baby, thx anyway :)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

If you decide on Akumal. I think Playa del Carmen would be more fun than going all the way to Cancun which is just a big city to me with a hotel zone and really nasty traffic. (from the airport you don't drive in the city)You could just catch the bus or the collective and it would take you right into playa in about 20 minutes from Akumal, (You'd have to get to the highway). Cancun is easily another hour. You could easily visit PDC from Cozumel as well if you decide on Cozumel. Akumal is well located to see all sorts of things on the mainland. Have a look at Hidden Worlds and Dos Ojos, Coba is great. Yummy restaurant on the lake, turn right instead of left to Coba and you will see a sign about half a block down, Go early to Tulum to avoid crowds and heat. Unlike Coba it's completely without shade. Also you have to go visit at least one cenote, I understand cenote diving is really something ((snorkeler here, bad ears)

Have fun planning. I'm having a blast learning about Cozumel for a visit. I think it would make a great holiday for your group too.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel planning for a group of newbies

thx for ur comment 1uvthe5un~