We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car transmission

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car transmission

A word of caution about renting a car on Cozumel. The price quoted to you or mentioned on this board likely is for a standard transmission. Automatic transmission is about 30% + or more, if the rental company even has it. We are just back from a trip and I learned that the hard way and wasted a lot of energy one day trying to rent a car I couldn't drive. So check the transmission type before you rent if that also is an issue for you.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car transmission

Sorry for your experience; but that is why I still prefer a manual transmission myself.

Se diviertan!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car transmission

I'm the only one in my family who will voluntarily drive an automatic transmission. My wife resists and my son refuses.

In most of the world, automatics don't represent even 30% of cars on the road. Some of the most popular models in Mexico aren't even available with anything other than an automatic transmission. I think Americans might be the only people who can even get a driving license without being able to drive a standard transmission. Can Canadians comment on whether automatics are so dominant there?

The basic point from the original post is accurate: if a car rental ad in Mexico (or anywhere except the US, probably) doesn't specify an automatic transmission, assume what's being offered is manual.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car transmission

Automatics are dominant in Canada as well .

Likely most rentals here in Canada are automatics so its an eye opener when we travel outside the US or Canada

Myself, I would not let me kids get their full license unless they drove a standard

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car transmission

Same here. I'll take a standard shifter before an automatic any day. It's the difference between riding in a car and driving in a car. Besides, you can't "heel-toe" an automatic very easily.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car transmission

I prefer manual. My Mustang GT just would not be a muscle car with an automatic.

Besides, everybody should know how to drive a manual transmission car. You never know when you'll be on The Amazing Race (LOL).

fort worth
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car transmission

I think Mal Perro just likes playing with the stick ;)

I have forgotten how to drive a stick after 6 years, but every year I mean to learn again on one of the more deserted cozumel roads. Maybe next May!

7. Re: Rental car transmission

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:16