We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying a little North of the air port

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying a little North of the air port

We'll be about 3 miles north of town. Is it really that bad of a scooter/bike ride? Many have said not to, but we don't want to rent a car. Trip is one wk away.

Thanks

oz
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

scooters are very dangerous read the threads about them. I have been to cozumel many many times and have never nor would I ever rent a scooter. Use taxi's or rent a car. Have a great trip !

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

It is an EASY bike ride as the entire North end, except around the marina, has a bike bath.

I'd have no issue riding a scooter in this area as the roads have little traffic and are in great shape. However for about the same amount you can rent a car.

detroit, texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

the scooters are just fine until you get run over........................

Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

Ok, maybe we'll wait and see what the bike path looks like. We'll be there for 10 days and many will be spent just being lazy...so maybe we'll rent for a couple of days and look into bikes.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

Heck, my son longboards from the Corpus Christi neighborhood on the south side of town to Puerto Abrigo (and back, of course). A bicycle would be much faster. Cozumel is flat. Bicycles are, perhaps, less attractive in the rain than a car (but better than a longboard).

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

I ride scooters and don't recommend it. Check out the Cozumel policia FB page. I follow it and they have scooter accidents on it daily, and they hold nothing back in mexico. Pictures of bodies laying in the street. If there are 2 of you just get a cheap bug from ISIS.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

Here is some video of the bike path as it was being completed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzAljZMbw7U

It's the first minute of the video. You'll also see the area around Puerto Abrigo. The rest of the video is of around the island by bike.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

I would echo the logic of a bike. they are cheap to rent the bike path is in good shape & the exercise does you good. get one with a basket to carry stuff

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
866 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

Pop up showers are never that fun on an uncovered vehicle. And when it rains, it really comes down.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying a little North of the air port

Get a bug from Isis. Only a bit more than a scooter all in. And this is from a guy who has run scooters all over Cozumel. btw; most of the scooter accidents I've seen (yeah, a few-no fatals, fortunately) have certainly been alcohol related and I'm betting none of them had any motorcycle experience. that can be a disastrous combination for sure. Get a bug - have fun!