We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Sur

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Sur

Last November my husband and I went to Punta Sur for the first time. It took us forever to get the beach do to pot holes. It was extremely rainy that month. So Im wondering, are the roads always that bad, or can I expect better conditions next month?

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Sur

They're always that bad. I've been three or four times to Punta Sur, and every time it takes a while to get to the beach...but totally worth it once you're there. Have you tried to snorkel tour at the beach? Just go to the snack stand and let the guy know you want a snorkel tour....they'll hook you up with everything you need. The reef they take you too is pretty awesome...lots of fan coral and fish.

Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Sur

I snorkeled out to the reef when we went. It was some of the best Ive seen on the island. Pretty long snorkel, but well worth it. Thanks for the info. We'll just have to be patient.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Sur

It's been reported all over the place that the road has been repaired.........so has to be better than last fall!

Edited: 30 July 2014, 20:26
Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Sur

Awesome, thanks

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Sur

Last May the road was great. Twenty-ish minutes from main paved road at Rasta's to the snorkeling area.

In the past it has taken around 45 minutes.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Sur

Actually, from our not yet published trip report:

The 7.3 km stretch of dirt road from the main road past the lighthouse to the snorkel area is in such good shape that it took us only 12 minutes each way.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
65 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Sur

There are 5 of us. How do we get there? Do we rent a car at the ferry dock (coming from PDC)? Taxi? One is not experienced snorkeler. Problem?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Sur

You can rent a car for the day in many locations or you can hire a Taxi for the day and they will wait for you at different stops along the way.

Is the person a good swimmer. Being an experienced snorkeler isn't as big of a deal if the person is comfortable in the water. If they are not, I would not have them snorkel at Punta Sur.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Sur

I was there the week of July 4th (2014). I found them to be fine, but I grew up driving dirt roads in West Texas.

With an unpaved remote road like that, you just have to take it for granted that you will have to go slow.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Sur

Chuckofdenver, I addressed most of your questions on the other thread, where you asked them there.