We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best Cochinita Pibil

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
The best Cochinita Pibil

Please send your suggestions for the best Cochinita Pibil in San Miguel. I'm going to be there for one week next February.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

Someone else can give better locations but I do know that you have to get there early because when it is gone it is gone. I think there is someone on the square on Sunday's but others will have more info.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

I'm going to say Restaurant Tamarindos (note there's no "e" at the end of "Restaurant"). It's on 30a at the corner of Calle 7 Sur across from Meridiano 87 in part of the old Tamarindos nightclub. They specialize in cochinita pibil and make it every day. It's "Sunday morning backyard" quality but easy to get every day. They sell tacos, tortas, or by weight to take home. This is a breakfast or early lunch place - they open at 7 AM and close at 1:30 PM.

On Saturdays (as opposed to the traditional Sundays), they make wonderful lechon which they serve with little pieces of crackling.

3 tacos and a Coke will set you back 48 pesos. Tortas are the same price range but I can't recall the exact price.

Highly recommended.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

Thanks Mark, every time I go for some on Sundays I find places sold out already, since Sunday is always my lazy day on the island.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

Thanks Mark! Can't wait to go and it's only August - is it too early to pack? I was watching a Mexican Made Easy program and she made cochinita pibil and it looked so good. I have a running "best enchiladas in the world" thing going and I have my favorite places for that. #1 - The Fajita Republic's chicken enchiladas in Nuevo Vallarta, #2 - Swiss enchiladas at a little place on the Acapulco main square, #3 - Chicken enchiladas at El Loro. Now I'm on a quest for the best cochinita pibil and will go to Tamarindos as soon as I hit town!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

Really enjoy Cochinita very much and eat it often. Fortunately, one Mexican friend goes out early and buys enough to share with me.

Mark mentioned something I like even more than cochinita---lechon. But it can be even more difficult to find.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

I dearly loves me some cochinita pibil, but I'll go for lechon over cochinita almost any time.

If you go to Restaurant Tamarindos on Saturday, you can do a head-to-head comparison of cochinita pibil vs. lechon. They also do relleno negro, but I haven't tried it there yet since the porky things are so good.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

Too many choices in one place, Mark. I would likely end up with chochinita, lechon and rellano negro. Doubt if I could choose.

8. Re: The best Cochinita Pibil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:17