We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

I know we are not on their food chain, but was wondering what the best thing to do would be if you ever came across one? Should you ignore it, freeze, swim away slowly, or run for your life?

I am asking this because I saw a picture of one that came within 50 yards of someone in front of the Barcelo Resort, just south of Playa.

I waited too long while trying to find the best deal to Cozumel during the time that I had available, and all the flights filled up on me. So I will be flying into Cancun and staying at the Barcelo Colonial this weekend instead. The bus to Playa-ferry to Coz takes too much time for the short weekend trips.

I am asking this question on the Coz forum because there are many more divers and snorkelers over here who might have encountered one. Here is a link to the website where I found the picture. Just scroll down to the croc pic.

unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php…

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

You should not worry Cozbobby, Texans are too gamey tasting for that type animal.

I have seen a smallish croc-like animal in the Caleta (by the Presidente). I don't know the correct name of what I saw but have never seen anything like it diving in Cozumel.

I would be concerned about them in inland waters.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

Hey Bobby!!............I have seen one swimming right next to the shore late in the afternoon under a hotel pier.............better not to say what hotel since that may cause a few cancellations!!............but it was just heading south between two lagoons and no one was even in the water at the time........they'd be more scared of US I think....(hope)...........I have no problem whatsoever frolicking with 8 foot green moray eels, but to see a croc diving would give me a heart attack!!.............but that sighting was YEARS ago..........and again----we are not on their food chain here............sadly, little doggies are............Betsy

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
451 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

the only one I saw was at Coconuts. It was in a cage with its friend the turtle!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

Co Pilot, it really bothers me that you know what Texans taste like.

Thanks Betsy! It sounds like it is a very rare occurrence. I found out on another forum that the croc in the picture could be the one that escaped from captivity at Xpu Ha Palace, the resort next door, during Emily.

I really would rather be going to Coz, but the new requirement of being at the airpoirt 3 hours early makes it impossible to catch a 9:40 am departure on the way back from Cozumel all the to the Cancun Airport.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

Bobby, I have actually snorkeled in a spring in Florida which had croc's in it, but they were 2 feet or so. I didn't know they were there until I spooked one in the weeds along the edge of the big pond that the spring created. I am guessing that if there were young ones there were adults at some time, but it was a State Park and no warning signs cautioned people to beware.

I guess that if you did encounter one it will come down to food preferances, does it prefer Tex-Mex, Mex, or something totally new. (Just kidding). I really have no idea of the risks, or the best avoidance method, but was taught that they generally eat twice a week (info from Aligator Farm in St Augustine, Fl) so unlike we humans they aren't looking for 3 or more meals a day.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

CORRECTION, I think they were gators, not croc's, but I think they will be gators in Mexico too. I don't think croc's live in this section of the world, but I am not sure. I think it is the American Aligator and croc's are native to Africa.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
283 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

While we were staying in Akumal a couple years ago and snorkeled in Yal Ku Lagoon we saw crocs/gators (whatever, they are both scary). They weren't that large, but still had me getting out of the water as fast as possible.

I have never seen them while in Coz.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

A little off the topic... but I read that report and looked at the pictures. I wish people didn't think it was ok to "pet" fish and take advantage of touching them while they are sleeping or trying to hide.

texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

From what I understand and could be wrong. The crocks you seen may be what is called cayman's we seen several while touring the in the riveria maya and kayaked amoungest them...They are smaller than a reg. crock from what I undersand, but nonetheless I would still run and say so long see ya later alligator...

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone ever seen a croc while diving or snorkeling?

The crocagtors are huge around Cancun. They feed them spring breakers.