We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roach repellant

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
roach repellant

All this talk of crocs and lizards and other pet hates brings me to my phobia - roaches and water bugs.

What is the best way of keeping them away from an apartment that is close to a pool; keeping them away from me and just generally making sure I don't freak out.

And don't suggest staying at home, I live in New York, where the "wildlife" is mean and plentiful, if you get my drift!!!

I'm cringing just writing this!!!!!

Help

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
283 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roach repellant

Sprinkle salt around the area...sure to work.

No, really, I have never seen a roach or any other "yucky" bug while in Cozumel. That isn't to say that they aren't there...just have never seen them. We have seen rats a number of times...but they went there way and we went ours.

We usually go in the spring, so don't know if the time of year dictates when you will see these nasty bugs, being from MN I have only seen roaches when we lived in NC in Jacksonville...and they weren't picky about the time of year they showed themselves.

Just be sure to shake your clothing well before packing to come home.

2. Re: roach repellant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2006, 14:30
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roach repellant

I haven't seen any there in all my visits either. I even think this subject was discussed before and the general agreement was that there weren't any. They certainly are well represented in Florida, under some different names, but don't seem to be in Cozumel.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: roach repellant

Larry,

There tend to be roaches, but they seem to be much more of an outdoor insect. In the states, when you see a roach in your house, you're almost sure to have an infestation. In Cozumel, if you see a roach (inside or out), you may not see another for some time. Maybe it's a different species... Not sure.

-Tom

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roach repellant

Tom, thanks for the update. Maybe it's the time of year I visit, or maybe they hide from from this old Canuck. I will keep my eyes open next visit.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: roach repellant

Thank you for your reassuring answers. I'll keep my fingers crossed, Raid under my arm, and feet and toes covered in case any of them detect me - I swear they can smell fear, like dogs, and come and find me.

7. Re: roach repellant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 03:17