We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

telephone card to call US from Public phone

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
telephone card to call US from Public phone

Hi, I will be going to Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico. I liked to call back to US

to check on my parents while I am there.

do they still sell these telephone cards to call back US from publind phones iN Mexicp

If so, where do I buy it, what kind of denomiations does it come in, and what is

the access code to call back to US when I am there. Also, same access code in

Cozumel and Costa Maya ??

Thanks

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

Times have changed and there are few of the correct public phones (Telmex) for those cards. Close to cruise piers are internet cafes with VOiP service -- much less expensive and more convenient for foreign calls.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

I have been using the VIBER app and it works good. Both people have to have it and wifi.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately neither me nor my parents have smart phones. My parents do not use

internet or any smart phone etc or else I can go to an internet cafe and e mail them . The VoIP that the 1st

reply mentioned, can I use that to call a landline in US?

If not , I can borrow a smart phone from a family member before I leave, How do you use the Viber app ( probably

that won't work because my parents do not have smart phone .

If anyone knows of those telephone cards that you can go to a public telephone and dial an access code and then

call to landline in US, please let me know

Thanks so much

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

VIBER app you have you have to have smart phone. Have you looked at magic jack, a lot of people on the island use it.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

You might check with your cell phone company and ask them about International rates, provided you have a cell phone. For the little you'd be using it, it might be the best way for you.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

You can purchase idPhonecard.com

Works well from landline or public pay phone in Cozumel.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 15:24
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

I used ID Phone for years with no problems. I just established an account with them on the internet that I could fund when needed, they gave a Mexico toll free number, I dialed it and entered my id number. Worked great.

I have no use for it now since my Telcel plan allows me to call the US for 15 minutes for 5 pesos.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 15:58
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

Bring a small laptop and set up Skype on it. You can call land lines in the States for very cheap...

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

Payphones are not quite as nonexistent as in the US, but they're headed that way. In Mexico, considerably more people have mobile phones than landlines and the calling party pays to call mobile numbers, so there's not much of a market for payphones. The ones you do find may not be Telmex and may impose considerable fees of their own.

A laptop with Skype is useful, cheap way to make calls to home when you have WiFi. If you don't want to deal with that, lots of internet cafes or bars offer very inexpensive calls to anywhere.

Many hotels, even little B&B's, offer free calls to the US and Canada because that comes packaged with their internet service. For example, my cable TV, internet, and phone service includes practically unlimited calls to mobile phones, the US, and Canada.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: telephone card to call US from Public phone

Most of the little hotels, condos and restaurants offer free WiFi so calling via Skype is very easy and convenient. We like to call home sitting at Jeanie's Waffles and enjoying the view.

If you set up Skype in advance you can subscribe to 30 days of unlimited calling to the States and Canada for only about $3.