We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Hello. I have my heart set on playa azul but I can't afford $160/night (after taxes). Hotel B is only around $100 which is more in my budget but I have read the beds are hard.... Can you buy eggcrates in cozumel? Or what do you do to soften a bed if it's too hard ?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

MANY of the hotels furnish them, you might contact them and ask. Not sure if you can buy an egg carton topper on the island or not.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

^ Right. Why buy something you'll use once?

When I'm in Mexico, I just get used to Mexican-style "firm". I think people who call it "hard" are exaggerating. I sleep well on a firm Mexican mattress.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

I'm with Viajero - are the beds more firm than my one at home - yes. Like sleeping on a concrete slab - no. I tend to like a firmer bed in general, but I think it does get exaggerated.

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

I only worry because my mom has a very bad back from an accident and I wondered what to do if we get to the hotel and she can't sleep

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Right. Why buy something you'll use once?

I buy alot of things in cozumel and give them away when i leave.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

“I buy alot of things..and give them away when i leave” Ditto...I take a new one cup coffee maker with me on my holidays..I pack it in my luggage and then find someone to give it to so I have room for souvenirs lol. Totally worth it to me.

If you find that you can buy it on Cozumel, maybe you could see how big they are when they are new in the packaging and see if you could take it as a carry on? Maybe even a twin size would help.

Hope you and your Mom have a great trip.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 21:39
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Sorry, that should have said if you find that you 'cannot' buy it on Cozumel then look at one from home. :-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

you can buy eggcrate mattress toppers at either Mega or Chedraui. The sizes are; single, double and king size.

Queen size is somewhat difficult to find, but hotels usually don't use queen size mattress.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Very helpful. :-)

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy eggcrates? Or fix hard bed?

Thanks island girl! I will just buy one down there if she gets uncomfortable :)