We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel day trip

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel day trip

Renting a car for a day trip in Cozumel in the next few weeks (our stay in PDC is 8/23 - 8/30).

What are your list of "places I must visit" in a day at Cozumel... anywhere from restaurants, beaches, bars, etc. We are renting the car and planning on driving all around the island.

Probably not going to do much shopping, and the only thing I can really think we'd be interested in is some tanzanite jewerly for myself (my husband usually buys me a piece every trip) and maybe a cigar or two to smoke while we are there.

We will probably head over on the ferry sometime after breakfast (maybe 9 or 10am ferry ride) so we'll want to visit some place for lunch, snacks, drinks, dinner...nice beaches to take a dip, maybe a little self service snorkel. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but we want to get as much of the experience as we can in a day. Maybe a great spot for dinner overlooking the sunset...

From what I have skimmed over so far, The Money Bar, Coconuts, and The Bob Marley Bar are places we will put on our list, along with Havana Bob's Cuban Cigars.

What's your list of must visit places..? Your help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel day trip

I like your list so far, especially Havana Bob's. Bob is an honest cigar salesman and I go nowhere else. I'd add El Pescador at Chen Rio for lunch and the beach. It's our new favorite. The food and drinks are really good for the east side. If you have time, stop by Mezcalito's at the end of the cross island road. Great place to hang out for a beverage and their food is good too, especially the pico de gallo. Have fun!

ps; some day when you have more time, you'll have to check out Punta Sur on the south end. It's pretty much a whole day by itself.

psps: great idea renting a car. Kudos! It's the only way to really get the flavor of the island.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 22:11
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel day trip

Great thanks. I will add these to my list.

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel day trip

Wet Wendy's is always at the top of my list. The best margaritas on planet earth...hands down, no questions asked. They have some wild flavors you'd never think of, but they are all EXCELLENT! Especially the chocolate / peanut butter. I was hesitant, but when I looked around and saw other people reacting like Christmas morning after they tried one, I figured "why not". So I tried one, and wow...changed my life. LOL

El Moro and Casa Mission are also on the top of my list. El Moro is a great authentic dining experience...not much in the way of décor....kind of a hole in the wall...but the food is overwhelmingly excellent. Casa Mission isn't quite as good, but the ambiance is awesome! Set in a little garden area full of palm and banana trees, fountains, etc. A real tropical Mexican oasis.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel day trip

I think Wet Wendy's will end up being on the list too, since it's next to Havana Bob's. Although, you couldn't sell me a choc/peanut butter margarita...I hate peanut butter. I did read one, basil and cucumber...now that sounds refreshing! ;)

El Moro and Casa Mission sound yummy as well. I have a feeling I'm going to get very full during this day trip...LOL.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel day trip

Personally, I would NEVER buy Tanzinite jewelry. It's not like they mine Tanzinite on the island. How could it possibly be a bargain? Buy a piece of inexpensive silver, from a reputable store and call it a day. Don't go home with something you'll regret. A very good, one-stop shopping, place is Los Cinco Soles on the North end of the Main Street. It's the only place I buy silver. I never step foot in any of the other jewelry places.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel day trip

We have never had an issues with the tanzanite pieces my husband has bought me in the past - although we are aware that the items are not set with gold or diamonds. Our items have checked out at our jeweler back home. BUT, we have not bought anything in Cozumel...and it doesn't sound like we should start now.

I will pass on the plain silver jewelry, but thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel day trip

Just have to say "Hello" to Stacy, as she hates peanut butter like I do. I can't even stand the smell of it on my husband's breath after he eats it. Too funny. Have not been to Wet Wendy's in our many trips to Cozumel, but I might try a mango margarita or raspberry. Have a blast. Gayle

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel day trip

Hi Gayle, thanks!! I'll be sure to report back!! Looking forward to a tasty margarita there!! :)

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel day trip

I'm not into foo-foo drinks, but the 'Queen of All Things' got a basil and cucumber margarita at Wet Wendy's and I tried it. I have to say, it's better than it sounds.

btw; if you're faced with a choice between El Moro or Casa Mission, go for El Moro. Both are on our top 5 list but the food is REALLY good at El Moro and the ambiance is fun too.

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel day trip

Playa Corona is a great stop for personal snorkeling - kinda of laid back 70's vibe - just make sure you tell them you will be buying a few drinks and don't pay the "entrance" charge - never was asked of us but have heard others complain