We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

Utica, IL
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

My hubby and I and another couple will be doing our annual trip to coz in Jan or Feb. We've done the Carlos and Charlies/ Senior Frog thing. We've taken salsa lessons at home and want to find a more "local" flavor club/pub. We can get any club we want here, and want Mexican/native flavor when we go there. If there are such clubs, (I hope all the locals don't want to be just like Americans in their taste for music and dancing) are they tourist friendly? (Don't want to feel like a tourist, want to feel like I belong there!)

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,285 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

I hope someone else living here who knows the local club scene better than I , will comment. You didn't mention you age bracket--might be helpful to know that. And you certainly got no local flavor at Carlos and Chrlies/Senior Frogs--only the mass produced tourist club flavor.

Unfortunately, most young people here do listen to the same music as young people in the US. Last week a stage was set up on the waterfront for some type of music festival for young people--if you heard it, you would have thought you were in the US!

The one thing I know from my Mexican friends here, is that almost everyone here is a good dancer--somthing that is very important in this culture and something they use often.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

ibdivn---------you might check out Neptuno's on the corner of 11th and Melgar............I don't think I've set foot in there since 1991, but I turn that corner every single day in my car and it seems there is ALWAYS a new banner advertising some kind of dance contest or special night (like the girls drink for free, etc...).............and it is way more local than the other places but not so much that you'd feel out of place..............just a thought...............and man, is Robert ever right about the local folks knowing how to MOVE----------I'm jealous!!

Betsy

Utica, IL
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

Hmmmm

So, I should probably not try out my new salsa dance steps in town. I'll try them at the resort we stay at, where everyone else is just as goofy looking, and doesn't care at all! We'll just people watch at the "local" clubs. Carlos and Charlies is fun for about 30 minutes, but I get sick of having watered down liquor in a bug sprayer squirted down my throat . Guess I'm getting old. It also makes for rough diving the next day. Still will look for "native" flavor in and around. Also, there used the be a museum/gallery in town. Is it still there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

If you like live music then there are a few places to try on the weekends - www.thisiscozumel.com has a review. All the places are tourists bars mainly, but locals do go there too and they're not quite so 'tacky' as Carlo'n'Charlies etc.

If you want a real local experience check out Neptunos - it's a disco that's open all night and is full of locals. Beer is reasonably priced, you may have to pay a cover, and you will find the people friendly, though you may be the only foreigners in there. Music is loud salsa and reggaton normally...

Ian

Utica, IL
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

Neptunos. That one sounds like fun. Thanks everyone, for the replys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

ibdivn

Yup, Neptunos is fun, try to check what they have on before going though as they have different music different nights and there is a Ladies Night too I believe. Personally, reggaton can be a little bit too loud and intense for me and might surprise you if you're looking for salsa!

If you want really good salsa style music in a nicer setting you should check out Santa Cecilia playing in Mis Charros on Fri/Sat nights too. I also just discovered that trombonist Aquino - also the Muncipality's Music Director - plays in Ambar downtown on Saturday nights. That's more of a lounge bar so not as much room for dancing, but great music nonetheless!

Ian

7. Re: Any "local flavor" clubs/pubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 21:20