We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Excursions in Cozumel

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shore Excursions in Cozumel

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in October. We are taking the Carnival Elation out of New Orleans with a stop in Cozumel. We would like to try snorkling, but neither of us have done it before. What would be the best recommendations for beginners? Would it be better to take one of the excursions where you take a boat out to a reef or do shore snorkling on our own? Is there good place to snorkle near Chakanaab? It sounds like there are lots of other things to do at that park, so would anyone recommend just spending the day there? Just trying to get some ideas and information so we can plan a memorable anniversary trip.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

You can snorkel at Chakanaab - it is one of their 'attractions'. They have equipment available (cant remember if its free or if you have to rent it).

Not sure I could spend a whole day there personally - unless you planned to do an animal encounter (swim with the dolphins, etc).

You could start there, hang out until your bored and then take a cab into town and shop.

If you are anxious about snorkeling, or a poor swimmer, the boat trips out to the reefs MIGHT not be enjoyable - 20-30' deep water with possible waves. The reefs are magnificent, but if you are too freaked out to enjoy them its not much fun.

Nashville, Tennessee
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

We're both good swimmers, just beginner snorklers. I've heard a lot of good things about Punta Sur, but that the snorkle spot is a bit far from shore. Would anyone recommend that for beginners? Would that be better than Chakanaab?

Also, I am trying to decide if we go it alone (less cost, more freedom) or book an excursion (less stress). I know the cruise excursions can be pricey, so who should I use if I want to get the best value? Should I go it alone part of the day (shopping, touring ruins, etc.) and go on an excursion for the snorkling part?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

I woulndt pay the entry fee to go to chankannab personally. Go to playa palancar and do their snorkle trip. I think its $35 pp. goes to two sites.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

I agree with okd. My vote is for Palancar. Good snorkle trip, nice beach, tood food and drink prices. And it does not get the cruise tour crowds.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

If possible, check with a local dive shop to see if they offer a beginner snorkeling class.

By getting over any apprehension of using new to you equipment, it should make an ocean trip more enjoyable.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

I sure wouldn't recommend Punta Sur for beginners. The reef is a long way out. What about Dzul Ha? easy access and lots of fish as soon as you get in the water. The Money Bar (hate that name) is right there and it's a great place to hang out. Good food and drinks. Also, it's close to the cruise ship pier so a taxi there would be reasonable. Punta Sur is great but you either have to rent a car or pay a lot for a taxi and it's pretty much an all-day thing.

Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

I agree with Sam S. Money Bar. You can rent equipment there as I recall, and the amenities are very nice. Easy entry. The rental guy can give you snorkeling tips. Observe other snorkelers, many will be happy to answer questions. Don't put your fins on until after you get in the water.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 20:46
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

Cozluver@ yeah, they had a little shop renting snorkel gear at the Money Bar when we were there in May. btw; on our first trip to Coz we came across on the ferry and were pounced on by the snorkel tour salesmen with the big catamarans. We turned them down, checked into the Cozumeleno hotel, rented a car and drove to Dzul Ha (a lot funkier place back in '87) We were enjoying our drinks when one of those catamarans showed up and dumped about 40 people into the water right in front of us. We still laugh about that.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

Consider getting some inexpensive water shoes at Walmart or similar. There are things in the sand that can cause foot injuries if your feet are not protected and you do not watch every step.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shore Excursions in Cozumel

'Consider getting some inexpensive water shoes...'

that's good advice. we have beach shoes I got on Amazon and we wore them everywhere on the east side. actually, they're the most comfortable shoes I own :-)