We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel or another location?

Kirkwood, MO
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel or another location?

My husband and I have been to cozumel and we are returning next February and renting a villa instead of AI for the first time. I love it there myself and would buy real estate if I could! However, my 20 year old son wants to take his GF next May some place. He wants AI, beach, pool and some type of entertainment...and of course-bars! I really liked the aura, being smaller, less crowded, but it's been a while since we were there. I'm not sure there is adequate entertainment for 20 year olds.

I am a bit overwhelmed with the choices. I know I do not want to return to Cancun! We have been there about a dozen times over the years and it has become too commercialized and crowded IMO.

Anyone have any suggestions that would provide the atmosphere these young adults are seeking, still be safe, but not feel like a high rise, over crowded apartment complex? I know many regulars of this forum have traveled extensively and have great information to share.

Thanks.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel or another location?

Sorry, I can't comment on what would work for your son, since we don't do AI, but kudos on renting a villa for the first time! We got onto villas about 15 years ago. We usually go with a group of 6-8+ friends/family (23 one time!) and a villa is the only way to go. When you figure out the day/cost, it's usually more economical than a U.S Motel. Also, you have the privacy and a real house with a yard and usually your own pool. We love it. be sure to report back on your stay! buena suerte! Sam

2. Re: Cozumel or another location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 00:00
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel or another location?

Have them take a cab downtown. Viva mexico fires up about 11pm and goes till 4-5 am. LIve music and lots of people. If all they want to do is party go to playa. All the resort i have been at in cozumel are lame if you are looking at them from a party standpoint. I like it that way.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel or another location?

Sounds like your son and gf are looking for more nightlife than Cozumel offers.... agree with pdc. As much as you hate it, they may really like cancun too.

Kirkwood, MO
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel or another location?

Thanks everyone for the input! I have been looking at resorts in PDC and hope to find something there!

Dumas, Arkansas
Level Contributor
178 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel or another location?

One more suggestion would be Isla Mujeres. It is a small island like Coz but there is a lot more to do for the younger set. Don't know about a private villa there but Ixchtel condo/hotel on Playa North is a great place with the very best location, best beach and not AI. Half a block walk to the action. Similar to what PDC was long ago.

Kirkwood, MO
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel or another location?

We have chosen the platinum Yucatan PrincessYucatan Princess resort with swim up rooms! Both generations involved are excited! Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing the cozumel folks and their Humane Society again in February and PDC in May!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel or another location?

We had a great time in Cozumel. There is so much stuff to do, lots of beaches, tours, etc. Be careful when renting a scooter, there were quite a few accidents (low impact) of tourists on scooters. We got a jeep for $15 more a day...made much sense and covers you from the eventual rain ;)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel or another location?

Candyrr is quite correct.

This last trip to Coz (in July) was the first one in years where I have not seen some poor tourist injured while on a scooter. I did actually see a scooter accident one time that was a fatality.

Please DO NOT rent a scooter!

Another option is renting a car instead of a jeep. That way you can lock up valuables in the trunk if you stop to eat, swim, snorkel or just walk on the beach.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 13:31
10. Re: Cozumel or another location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:15