We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

We are looking at taking our children on a trip and want to be sure that Cozumel would be ok for them.

Ages listed above respectful kids!!!

I have been to Cozumel once, but only a short time from a cruise ship. What day of the week do the ships come in? Would there be enough to do to entertain, which AI would you recommend?

I have been all over and was wondering about spending a week here. I wanted a villa/condo, but the kids want to do the AI for more entertainment. We do not dive..would that be a problem for fun on this island?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

Cozumel is more of a laid back island. It can certainlyi work for anyone - but it's not a lot of wild and crazy.

You can still have fun, but if your 20 somethings want a lot to do and entertainment, they would probably be happier on the mainland - playa del carmen / cancun.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

If your kids are that old, they'd be bored out of their mind at an AI for a week. You might want to look at a condo or AI in the North end so it is only a $5-8 cab ride into town for some nightlife vs a $20 cab ride to the AI's south of town.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

What do you mean on the north end?

They wont really be looking for party out on the town atmosphere more up beat at the resort. We have been to PV, Cancun and PDC area, just thinking something different. Are there any fun excursions?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

There are a lot of AI's anywhere from 10-15 miles south of town. With that comes an expensive cab fare or rental car to get back and forth to town.

To the north, most of the AI's and condos are 1.5-3 miles north of town.

There are a number of great place in town to catch live bands, dance, eat, drink and have fun. At that age, I assumed they would be interested in those activities.

You'll find a condo is probably cheaper than 2-4 hotel rooms with much more space to spread out in..

Edited: 22 August 2014, 18:39
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

We've gone with groups of family/friends many times, usually 8-10 of us or so but one time we had a group of 23 and every age from 3-1/2 to 80. We always rent a villa in the corpus christi neighborhood so everything is within easy walking distance and people can come and go whenever they want. Coz doesn't have the wild night life like Cancun or Playa but that's one of the things we like about it. Our nephews and nieces those ages have been there with us and they had a blast. One thing everybody loved was the Tucan sailing tour which we do every trip. It's a great day on a real sailing trimaran. Have fun!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

The all-inclusive resorts in Cozumel do not do the "entertainment" that you've seen other places. If that is what your family wants, you should look elsewhere. Cozumel is more an "entertain yourself" kind of place. There is lots to do, but its not going to come knocking on your door. Read the TA reviews of all-inclusive resorts on the island. I think the best entertainment mentioned is the fire dancers -- they also perform on the public square at times.

As for "what day to the cruise ships come to port".....EVERY day.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

Here's a cruise ship schedule for ya. Currently, none come in on Sunday. Wednesdays only have 2 in port. This is all subject to change, but has been pretty accurate.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CruiseShips

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

I still say the Palace is the best of both worlds. Benefits of AI but close enough to walk anywhere. I have seen more and more people in your kids age each year we go to the Palace. The inside bar is a very nice place for them to hang out and meet others in the evenings.

People on here seem to imply once you get to an AI you are somehow locked in and cannot leave. Maybe the further out they are the more it seems that way. We have never been ones to go to a resort and just stay there. Which is one reason we like the Palace. Perfect location as far as I am concerned. You can walk to town and if you need to you can choose to ride a cab back for a nominal charge.

You can also use your credits for activities outside the resort.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 00:25
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,006 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

Look at what is offered in Playa del Carmen/ Playacar since I suspect that may be a better fit.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 23-25-26-32 would Cozumel work?

Yeah, I agree with Simply Red - if you've been those other places and expect that level of entertainment at the AIs on Coz, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment.