We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and Son trip

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mother and Son trip

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to Cozumel, but have not spent much time away from the resort or tourist areas, I'm not familiar with the island. I am returning in Feb. 2015, with my 15yr old son for a week. I want us to experience Cozumel culture and still enjoy doing "fun" activities like the Flyboard.

We are both certified divers so that is on my "to do" list, hows the diving that time of year? I would like some ideas for activities other than museums, churches, etc. that would interest someone of his age. Are there any festivals?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking at staying Casa Deja Blue or something similar, any thoughts? The reviews are all positive and encouraging, but have to admit that I'm a little apprehensive. I'm only familiar with the resort style of travel.

Many Thanks

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and Son trip

The diving is great anytime of year.

You might want to make sure you are staying someplace that is convenient for diving.

Not sure the middle of town fits that bill unless you plan to rent a car and drive to the boat on each diving day. There are several hotels closer to the water that aren't mega-resorts.

Do you happen to be coming during Carnival? Cozumel is a laid back place, not a whole lot of touristy type attractions - but by all means do go see the other side of the island.

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and Son trip

I'm not sure when Carnival is. Our travel dates are Feb 15-21, during Mardi Gras break.

When I first visited Cozumel 10yrs ago, we did a Jeep/snorkel tour that took us to the other side of the island and I remember how beautiful it was. Definitely will take him to see it. I also dove on that trip which was in mid July, and I still wore a shortie as I get cold easily. How much colder is the water in Feb.?

The villa I believe is one block from the ocean and the on sight owner does his own dive tours from what his profile reads. Have not begun looking for dive info yet. Only familiar with Dive with Martin because that was who we used 10yrs ago. I am willing to take a taxi if necessary to reach pier or dock.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,285 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and Son trip

Carnival dates are the same as you are accustomed to since all things come to a conclusion on Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. More info here:

https:/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and Son trip

I took my son on a Mexican Adventure when he was 13 and we had so much fun! Casa déjà Blue is located in a great area. I have not stayed there but stayed at Villia el En Canto accross the street. It's walk to everything in town. I liked having access to a kitchen. I stayed a month and made breakfast some mornings. Casa Déjà Blue looks like it has a great pool area as well. The pier at Hotel Cozumel is a 10 minute walk. Many ops will pick you up there. You will miss Carnaval but Sunday nights at the square are always fun. Others will chime in on excursions.....I have never been on one in alll the years of vacationing in Cozumel. I like spending time at beach clubs, on a non cruise ship day Paradise Beach is my favorite on other days I like Palancar Beach, Buccannos or even The Money Bar. I have always rented a car. I like the flexibility it gives me. Cabs are plentiful if that's what you would prefer. Hope this helps, enjoy your vacation.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 13:48
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and Son trip

Almost forgot......we did the a Pirate Ship dinner cruise......what a hoot......you should do that!

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother and Son trip

Wait.......Carnaval 2015 is Feb 11-17 so I think you timed it perfectly! You'll only miss the first parade which is kind of a practice run anyway.......you'd be able to see the Sunday parade and for sure the big one on Tuesday night which is great fun and your son would love it! Good timing!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
940 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother and Son trip

Thanks for the clarification on Carnival! I tought it was the week before. It's such a fun time to be in Cozumel!

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother and Son trip

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. I'm so excited about carnival!! I wish we were leaving tomorrow. lol

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother and Son trip

If you left tomorrow you would miss Carnival.

If you are experienced enough look into doing the Eagle ray dive just north of town.

At times. Aldora will run those in the afternoon as a single tank dive.

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother and Son trip

That is so true, we would miss carnival. Ha!

Unfortunately, I'm not a very experienced diver and plan to take a refresher course. My son is more experienced, his father is an instructor and has been diving since he was 7yrs old. However, he has never dove in clear water and I can't wait for him to see.