We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
845 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Hi

We are going to Mexico next year and staying at the Iberostar Cozumel, i have heard that if you do any of the trips with First Choice, you are not picked up from the hotel, you have to make your own way to the main land to go on the trips, can anyone add any comments to this, is there any thruth to this? I look forward to anyone shedding any light on this. Thankyou.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Hi SnorkelQueen7

We are also going to Cozumel next year and are keen to know if First Choice pick people up from the hotel for their tours. We too have read the review which states First Choice do not pick up at the Iberostar.

I would much appreciate it if anyone who has been to the Iberostar and has knowledge on tours withFirst Choice could put our minds at reat.

many thanks in anticipation

PaulineB

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Hi

We stayed at the iberostar in june (really great) yes you do have to make your way to the mainland on some of the trips with First Choice, this adds quite a bit to your trip price as it is a taxi ride (15-20 dollars) each way then the ferry trip across around 11 dollars each way. Hope this helps.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Hi,

Surely the whole point of taking a holiday to Cozumel is to see the island? There are loads of holidays to the mainland where you can go on the wonderful tours they have there. I have been to the mainland twice now, but really wanted to see Cozumel. I too am staying at the Iberostar and will be travelling with First Choice - we go on 25th May next year and I can't wait.

I would be very interested to hear what tours First Choice have available on Cozumel if anyone knows.

Thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

I am curious, why do you have to take your tours thru first choice? Do they offer you discounts? free bee's? or are you only using them because you feel safe sticking with tours they provide? We did that our first time on vacation and booked our tours through the Apple rep at the resort. Come to find out we could have booked things online and or directly thrugh some of the companys at a better price.

There are many things to do on Cozumel. some organized some not. And you would be just as safe and maybe even get a better deal sometimes booking on your own based on research and referals from others. Here are some links you could look at and get an idea of what you might like to do.....

cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/ThingsToDoIndex.h…

http://www.thisiscozumel.com/index.html

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/

http://www.cometocozumel.com/

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

I guess it's laziness and being wary for me - what happens is that the day following your arrival the tour reps always arrange for a 'welcome' meeting where they give you info about the place and try and sell you tours. They always seem to give advice on the reasons why you should only buy their tours, things like 'you're not properly insured' or stuff like that, 'safety equipment on tour buses' etc.

I do intend looking through all the websites nearer the time (next May) to see what there is on the island and may well book some other outside tour operators. I suppose you always think people are trying to rip you off abroad and that's why you stick to the 'safer' bet - even though it's probably twice the price. I mean - I wouldn't want to look silly or gullible would I? I guess it's the Londoner coming out in me!

E. Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

First, talk to all of the tour people at the hotel to get the feel for what they have to offer. Do not take any time share tours period, they are scams. They lie, thats their job. If it wasn't they would not have to con you. People would be in line to go. In our experience in Cozumel on many vacations the tour guys from your travel company have the same tours as the rest. Most actually work for MLT vacations. Remember they are salesman, they get paid to sell you tours. It is a really good idea if you spend a few minutes looking up different web sights for Cozumel. If it is your first time to Cozumel, stay on the island. There is so much to do you will be amazed.

If you are going to come to see the mainland stay in Cancun like we did and save a boat of money on the tours.

Go to Cozumel to see Cozumel. You will fall in love with it as we have.

Our personal favorite,Pelicanos tours, will pick you up at the dock of the Iberostar for the best snorkeling. They have a real nice wooden boat that is awesome and has a real bathroom. It is also covered so you are not in the sun the whole time.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Hi cozumelLVR,

The Pelicanos tour sounds great, can you give us more information about this tour. Did you book it at the hotel? and with which Company?

Many thanks

PaulineB

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

GinaG

read this thread and about 6 posts down in the list. I know it relates to another hotel but it rings true at most AI's and for most travel companies in general.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k50366…

We blew off our "orientation meeting" "welcome meeting" with the travel rep the last time we stayed AI. in Cancun. We did not want to waste our time. We only had 3 nights and we wanted to enjoy every min of it. We booked one tour online from doing our own research about what we wanted to do and we actually did book one of the things with our travel rep at the hotel because once we were there we decided we wanted to go on a snorkel tour and it was just easy to walk over to thier desk and schedule it without the boring bla bla bla meeting. Thing is we did not have to sit thru the orientation to be able to book it.

:-)

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

oh... and make sure to read onto the next pages of that link becasue there is lots more info.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Cozumel Mexico

Many thanks for all your good advice. I definitely intend to stay on the island, as I said I have had 2 very good holidays (2 weeks each) in Cancun and have seen many of the wonderful sites/tours available. I will have a good look at all the info you have supplied.

I only usually go to these welcome meetings just to meet the rep - you never know when you might need them for something - and to pick up any maps info they might have about the local area and what's available at the hotel etc.

I certainly wouldn't give timeshare the time of day in any country!!