We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

satellite radio, the saga continues

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
satellite radio, the saga continues

I took my satellite radio (Delphi MyFi, XM service) to Cozumel last week and got no service whatsoever, not in the Coral Princess, facing the ocean, or further north in the Hacienda Monte Cristo.

Any ideas why this is so? Is it the amount of concrete? Although hanging out of a window (the antenna, not me!) should be a good place and avoid that problem, I'd have thought.

I'd looked at the previous threads about how well satellite radio worked so I'm surprised at my lack of radio.

Any ideas on the best receivers, antennas, etc.?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Be interested in the replies since I am thinking of bringing one down. I had heard they worked fine. Might want to ask on cozumelmycozumel.com, have seen lots of discussion there with expats on this subject.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Thanks, Robert. I'll do a search on the other website. I thought I'd read and contributed to discussion on this one, but maybe not.

I should probably reactivate one of the old threads on Cozumelmycozumel and see if there is anything new.

Like you, I know I'd read that they worked fine, etc. That's why I'm so perplexed and disappointed that I couldn't get mine to work.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Was that you on cozumelmycozumel? If so, saw you got a response.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Thanks, Robert. Yes it is me (my alter ego - problems logging on the very first time, so I had to choose another name for this site).

I'll keep checking and see what advice comes up.

Maria

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Good, glad you got some information. I may have to buy one on my next US trip and hope it works!

Kent Island...
Level Contributor
480 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

My sirius works just fine from Coz Palace and Hotel Cozumel. It even worked 90 % of the time in the airplane with my antenna stuck between the shade !!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Interesting but surprised any airline would allow that since it violates all airline regulations.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Take your system out with a clear view to the south (plus or minus). Could be that the building blocked the satellite signals. Have you verified that XM coverage extends to Cozumel?

For good prices on XM units (maybe Sirius as well), look at www.ecost.com. I have seen some units free after rebate.

Rockwood, Michigan
Level Contributor
696 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Ok guys I bought this for my husband through ecost... The boombox for the SkiFi 2... I can't get it to work... Just says antenna when you turn it on? It ried what they said.. Anyone have any help. Will call tomorrow about bummer it doesn't work though....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: satellite radio, the saga continues

Here's the whole discussion on Cozumel my Cozumel. No real need to repeat it.

www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/dcboard.php…