We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

I was just reading a thread on the Puerto Vallarta forum about tipping and was wondering if tipping in pesos (instead of US $$) was the general preference in all of Mexico? We have often tipped in US and not thought twice about it...but local experts said how inconvenient it was for the employees to get to the bank to exchange money. True to Cozumel also? And a lesson I learned the hard way in a grocery store: Do not try to use US coins for anything in Mexico. They are of no value to anyone there (except maybe a ball marker on the golf course) Twas just a bit embarrassing and thank goodness I couldn't understand the cahier's words as I stupidly KEPT ON trying to pay the change part of the bill in US coins (cause the body language was enough :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

While I don't recommend using coins, either Canadian or US ones, Cozumel and I suspect all areas of the Mayan Riviera will accept them as part of your tip, BUT the US dollar is no problem in Cozumel. Pesos or US dollars seem to get the same smile, and I think Canadian currency would too, but I have only used it once & didn't wait to see how the maid responded, just left it in the room. Because Cozumel & San Miguel are small by our standards the locals should have no trouble exchanging whatever dollars you choose, but probably not coins, except Canadian $1.00 & $2.00 coins. I say that based on all the signs in the Cancun airport showing prices in Canadian "loonies" ($1.00) and "twoonies" ($2.00) which are coins, we no longer use paper money for those denominations.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Antonio, you should be able to give a very accurate answer here. What do the locals prefer? (besides $100.00 bills)

Earth
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

As long as the tip is big enough, they don't care what currency you use. They don't have to go to the bank to change the $$ into Pesos, every store and vendor in town takes $$ and Pesos.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

I would agree that the type of currency does not matter that much when it comes to tipping. But keep in mind that the locals must pay their bills and the local businesses must pay their vendors in pesos. Pesos would be more convenient for the locals, but tipping with any type of currency is always appreciated.

It's funny that in all the years I have been going to Mexico, I have never paid attention to the fact that I sometimes get U.S. dollars back as change but always get Mexican coins. The situation has never presented itself, but I did not realize that U.S. coins were completely unacceptable.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Like they said,,,,dollars, pasos...no differance.

But , we keep all our change in a cup the whole time we are there, and put it On Top Of the house keepers tip when we leave...great for the kids.

Allen.

E. Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

We have been given US coins back in change several times. I'm impressed at how the people know our money so well. I always leave the pesos and any coins I have for the maid along with her usual tip on the last day. I always bring plenty of small money(200 in 1's and 200 in 5's) besides spending money for tips and such. Then we don't have to get change all the time and it makes it easier for the people to spend. I was also impressed at how many small stores took credit cards this time around. I ended up spending a lot more money than I would have. And enjoyed every minute.

Of all the places we have been, no where else compares at how nice people are. We love how much fun they make every time we come.

minnesota
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

It's been my experience in Cozumel that pretty much anything works. I've paid with US, PESOS, and a combo. They seem grateful either way. Cozumel is a lot different from other parts of Mexico,though, so I understand your concern.

Hey Bemidji! I live in St.Paul!

Lola

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

US dollars, Pesso's.... either works. I got 4 quarters back as part of my change on one of my daily trips to the Michicolad (sp?) for my Orange agua fresca. Yummy!

Money exchanges are every where on the island and of course the US dollar is worth a little more than the pesso.

Also we had cashiers at various places ask us... Do you have 50 cents? Just so they could give us even dollar change back. I dont think you will be made to feel embarased at a store in Cozumel.

And as for Change/Coins...... Here is an idea.....We saved all of our change that we accumulated over the 10 days and deposited it in the Cruz Roja collection boxes at the airport. It feels good to help those less fortunate on the island we love.

:-)

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

This thread is bouncing back and forth between pesos, dollars, and US coins.............but I'll jump in......ANYBODY can use pesos (in any form) or dollars (in paper form) as a tip and that will be very appreciated........NOBODY can use your US coins. If, in fact, someone was given US coins in return as change, trust me that they were WAITING to get rid of them. I once had a diver hand my captain rolled quarters as a tip.........he called me to the side and asked what it was.............and I explained to the diver that he needed to switch to paper.....hahha..........which he did. I myself change all the coins that I can at the airport before returning to Mexico, since they are useless here...........and if I might be so bold, a little insulting as a tip..........come on guys----anyone can afford to tip these lovely people in PAPER, right?

Betsy

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

In some cases I think the USD are even more appreciated as tips due to the exchange rate.

$5USD is worth more than $50NP, but using the "easy math" most people just do the 10:1 thing. The real exchange rate is closer to 11:1 so $5 USD is worth 10% more than the "same" amount in pesos.

If you negotiate a price with a vendor in town they are quoting you USD prices. If then, after reaching an agreement, you pull out pesos just watch as they ask if you have US. And if you only have pesos, then they adjust the price to truly reflect the exhcange rate. If it's going the other way, however, (a price in pesos - say at a restaurant - and you whip out US to pay for it) they are MORE than glad to accept it at the 10:1 ratio... for obvious reasons. :)

In cozumel, it makes no difference if you tip in pesos or usd. Just tip generously.

-- Mike