We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions About Cozumel

London Ontario
9 posts
Save Topic
Questions About Cozumel

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Cozumel together in 7 months time. We are staying at the Grand Cozumel, all inclusive. We have always wanted to go there, so we are quite excited. I have a few questions though, so anyone who have been there might be able to shed some light for us?

1. Would you recommend renting a car there or just using a taxi?

2. Is it a fairly safe place?

3.How much spending money should we take, we want to snorkle, parasail, and visit some mayian ruins??

Any other information anyone can send our way would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Amy

Ocean  Beach Club
Parasailing & Paragliding, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Hakuna Matata Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Carlo's N Charlie's Beach Club
Water Sports, Parasailing & Paragliding, Scuba & Snorkeling
Caribbean Expeditions
Scuba & Snorkeling, Parasailing & Paragliding, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Hi Amy,

So you're going to Cozumel. Good for you, but 7 months is just too far away. next month would be better...Heh.

Hey my own personal opinion...We only rent a car for one day out of ten that we stay there to drive over to the East side. A must if you enjoy miles of un-spoiled beach. If you are using it for shopping, the parking is very limited downtown. It's only $5 by taxi to town.

Now we stay at the El Cozumeleno. They have a pier on the beach, so most excurtions will pick you up right at the hotel. I'm not sure if that option is available at the Coz Grand. Maybe someone else will help with that one.

SAFE ? Cozumel is one of the safest destinations that you can travel to. In 6 years of going there myself, I have never had or have I heard of anything bad going on. I mean, don't leave your $300 camera laying next to the pool and exspect it to be there in the morning but just use common sense.

We usually bring $100.to $1500. extra with us for spending. We usually come home with extra, but it's better than running out. Remember the ride home you will be spending money in the airport..BRING LOTS OF ONES and FIVES for Tipping. Don't over-do it, but while you at the hotel, a couple of bucks goes a long way.

I think I got it all. hey any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Allen

P.S Tell your BOYFRIEND he has 7 months....Make It A HONEYMOON ! :o)

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Sorry for the typo...that's suppose to be $1000 to $1500 spending cash. But we dive 6 days out of the 10 we are there. Shop for at least 4 partial days. Easy to go through some $$$ that way.

Allen.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Amy--------Morgy's quote of the taxi fare from the Grand to town is incorrect..........he must be dreaming of the El Coz............taxi fare from down south is something like $15 each way give or take a dollar or two...............and that surely adds up depending how often you leave your resort.............just wanted to point that out. Betsy

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Ok, you caught me...bad wording on my part...I was talking about my experiences thus the word WE was used...sorry

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Yes Cozumel is very safe, you can go for long walks on the beach or anywhere in town without any worries for your personal safety, nor will you be approached by beggers, or bums trying to sell you something while on the beach.

As for renting a car it is a good idea for exploring the island, which is very small (likely smaller than London and the rural areas of it). Be aware that renting requires that you buy full insurance, no deductable of any kind. Mexico doesn't recognize non Mexican insurance companies, and also the use of a credit card that has a bonus of covering additional car insurance doesn't apply there either. If you were in an accident, you can be jailed until damages are paid. You won't need the car often, maybe a day or 2 depending on how long your vacation is. Taxi fare to town is likely $15.00 to $17.00 US each way. (it was $17.00 from the Iberostar, which is almost nextdoor to the south 2 1/2 years ago)

Snorkeling is free unless you need to rent gear or take a snorkeling tour, but it isn't that good right at the resort compared to many areas that are not of a sandy bottom. I don't know how much to parasail or visit the ruins (I did know but forget) but I think it was between $10.00 to $15.00 each. Many ways to spend money on souvenirs, T shirts, a hammock etc so that one depends on your spending habbits. Most of the businesses in town take cash, US or Mexican peso, BUT not credit cards or debit cards. There are ATM's that give pesos, and money changers that will exchange Canadian to pesos, but not at the rate you will get here. Silver jewelry and hand made leather goods are very easily found, so you might need some extra money for them.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Not sure I understand what the word WE has to do with giving a wrong fare on the taxi.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions About Cozumel

We only rent a car for one day....

We stay at the El Cozumeleno...

Are you begginning to see a pattern here ? ? ?

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions About Cozumel

Sort of like your CROD-O-DILE post.....

where YOU put in the wrong link...

Guess neither one of us is perfect are we Bobby? :o)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions About Cozumel

How cute. Really no need to be obnoxious. And the crocodile post link was fine but it took you to the main newspaper site which made the particular article difficult to locate. So for ease in finding it, I put a new link.

California
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions About Cozumel

I too am planning a trip to Cozumel around that time. Which All- inclusive resort do you feel is the best? The Reef Club, Park Royal, Occidental Allegro, etc. . . You know the one that gives you the best bang for you buck! I don't mind paying alittle extra if it means the difference between great vs okay.

Thanks, RB