We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

So many are writing about getting sick and food poisoning. I thought I would start a thread with some info about how to avoid this happening to you when on vacation. Our first time to Cozumel my husband did get sick. It started there and he was fine most of the time.... but it really kicked in to its full effect shortly after we got home. He had to take in a "sample" and go on antibiotics. They did not find any on thing to pinpoint it as e-coli or anything else in the sample..... so we don't know what was making him ill. We did not make a big fuss of it. We have gotten sick at home before. Bacteria are everywhere.

I have heard from watching news reports and reading health magazines…..that many people actually get sick on the airplane. Yeah… big shocker huh?!?!?!?!? Considering how clean they are and that you are packed in with how many people that might be coughing and sneezing and not washing their hands after they use those dirty filthy bathrooms…… sickness does not always strike that day or even the next day. It can come on after 3 or more days. So taking that into consideration….. I am very careful on the planes.

So.... here is what we did to ensure healthy travel our last trip. It worked and we will do it again in future trips.

First off I am going to start with cleanliness:

1 - I bought Purell Hand Sanitizer in little travel sizes. I just packed this in checked luggage due to the whole gels and liquids fiasco.

2 - For the plane I bought a box of Wet Ones Moist Wipes - these are Antibacterial - kills Germs cleans and nourishes skin. You can probably find them by the paper plates and plastic silverware in your grocery store......I placed some in each of our cary-ons and in my purse. On the plane we used them to wipe the trays down where our food goes and to wipe our hands before we ate our food. I was very happy I had them because the water was not working in the sink of the planes bathroom. Yeah. Nasty nasty bathroom.

We used both the Hand Sanitizer and the Wet wipes all during our stay. They fit right in a pocket or in the beach bag......They went to the beach with us, out to dinner with us, on excursions with us..... We used them every single time we ate…….you get the picture....... Keep your hands clean..... don’t chew on your finger nails…..

Now on to being proactive about Health:

3 - We went to our family Dr. and got a prescription for Cipro. – Only to be used “IF“ we needed it….. We did not.

4 - We started taking a daily multi vitamin about a month before hand and have continued taking them since. (It’s good for us)

5 - I bought Airborne Immune boosting tablets. We started taking these once daily about a week before our trip. And then on the night before and day of travel we took them according to the package description every 3 to 4 hours . Example schedule: 1 at dinner the night before….. one before bedtime….. one in the morning…… one at the airport…… one on the plane…... One before we boarded our next plan at the layover.

6 - I bought a product called Culturelle. It is found at pharmacies usually near the vitamins and supplements. What this is: It is a probiotic, professional strength dietary supplement. It enhances your body's natural defenses. Helps to maintain healthy intestinal bacteria and assists intestinal functioning....... (like how they say yogurt is good for your intestines because of the natural bacteria’s in it)…..we did as the instructions said for travel and started taking it 3 days before our trip twice daily and continued thus over our stay.

Food – We ate what we wanted when we wanted. We had lettuce on our burgers, we had tomatoes on a sandwich… we ate some fruits….. avocado slices, guacamole. We assume that the restaurants we visit clean their foods properly. I guess they did because we did not get sick.

Anyone else have good travel tips????….. please post them. I think people could benefit from this.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

On one of our trips to an AI , a friend of ours became violently ill. A couple from Canada gave him packets of "Gastrolyte" rehydration salts. It was a godsend. You can't purchase this product in the USA.

It would be similar to Pedialyte liquid here. I ordered the Gastrolyte packets online. I take them on every vacation. You mix it with bottled water and drink. We also take Cipro with us, and of course, Immodium. The Canadian guys doctor told him, that at the first sign of any diarrhea, take a Cipro, a dose of Immodium, and start drinking the rehydration salts. Has worked for us since then! That's my 2 cents worth of advice!! :)

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

i too use purell alot. i also eat yogurt every day 2 containers for a week before i leave. i have been to mexico 5 times and never got sick except for a cold once. i think staying at a good resort helps alot nothing below 4 stars seems to keep ya heathier.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

turquoiseblue: I think you just about got it covered! Nearly 3 years ago my husband, son and I went on our first airplane family vacation to Arizona. Long story short, I ended up in the ER from being violently ill and assumed it was food poisoning until my son got it 1 day later and husband after that. I believe we may have been exposed on the plane. Since then I use the clorox wipes all over our area on the plane- tray, seat belts, "blinds" for the windows, arm rests ect . . . You can't tell me that these areas get cleaned or wiped very often! We constantly wash our hands and use the liquid hand sanitizer all the time. (I even carry 1 small bottle in my purse- clear plastic baggie through security). We will plan to do the same in 5 weeks and 2 days for our first trip to Cancun and PDC!!! We also take Airborne 30 minutes before getting on the plane (and they have Airborne Jr. for kids ages 5 or 6 to 12 I believe). I think we might take acidophillus (sp?) pills a couple weeks before we go as well and during our trip. We will also carry Immodium AD and pepto too. Hopefully we won't get sick! I have one time out of 4 in Mexico. I was in PV and in high school and probably wasn't as careful as I am now about the hand washing thing. We will only drink bottled water, brush our teeth with bottled water and keep our mouths closed while showering. I usually avoid dairy products and lettuce too. Sounds extreme, but well worth it to me.

E. Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

We take mouthwash and use it everytime we eat, brush, after showers, after swimming, etc. Also use only bottled water. Also take or buy peroxide and wash out your ears at night.

Has worked for 9 years.

We also eat out alot, ( our stove gets used for storage) so that may have a little to do with it. Your body gets used to eating a certain way then change up.

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

We ordered tequilla immediately upon arrival. strickly for medicinal purposes and continued to keep our medicinal level during the entire trip even eating breakfast with bahama mamas the last day before leaving for the airport. Honestly the only thing we avoided at the El Coz was the dinner buffet, it looked old so we ordered room service..

6. Re: Getting sick on vacation and how to avoid it.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:18