We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel or Cabo???

new york
Level Contributor
117 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel or Cabo???

I'm planning a vacation March in Mexico. However, I am having the toughest time deciding between Cozumel and Cabo. I know March is spring break time and Cabo is very popular amongst that crowd so I don't know if that will ruin my trip or not. Also, are there any Mayan sites in Cabo? Cozumel seems like a good choice as well, however I read somewhere that there the place is only good if you are really into diving. Has anyone been to both? Please share experience and thoughts. Anything would greatly help!

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

Cabo has no Mayan influence. The water is cold and green. There are pelagic animals by the thousands. Kicking nightlife. Arid climate. Looks like Arizona with a beach.

Cozumel is totally Mayan. Is a forest (jungle) environment. Warm crystal clear blue waters. No nightlife to really speak of (but Margaritaville is coming, so we might get som new music). Very laid back atmosphere.

Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

Superyooch,

I have vacationed in both places. Though I have never been to Cabo during spring break, I would think you would get the SOCAL influx of kids...

Depending on where you went in Cozumel, which I have been to 6 times over spring break there were no kids just adults.

Cabo is also very expensive depending on where you stay while Cozumel can be but the prices are much more reasonable. Right acroos the from Cozumel are many all-inclusive resorts that are extremely nice just outside of Playa de Carmen. It sounds like you are not a scuba diver. If not then I would actually recommend the mainland just across from Cozumel. You can always take a ferry across to cozumel for the day.

hope this helps.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

Cozumel and Playa are much prettier IMHO, the water is clear and a beautiful turquoise color. Cabo is going to be a spring break meca depending on your timing and spring break of those in the US. Do you like to snorkel, because Coz is supposed to be one of the best places to do this.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

The Cabo Wabo's existence alone makes Cozumel the easy choice for me.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

HTownMan, then you will be happy to know that Margaritaville is opening here soon.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

CaptainRon - I’m sure you have accurately pegged me as the type that enjoys reflecting back on what they loved about Cozumel a few plus years back. Although I’m not against progress, USA commercial companies overseas are a pet peeve. I can get this experience in Houston.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

I have been to Cabo twice (and LOVE it) and will be going to Cancun & Playa del Carmen (with day trips to Isla Mujeres (across from Cancun) and Cozumel in February. I love Cabo and considered going back there, but wanted to try something new. Also, we have never been on the Carribbean side of Mexico. Like someone else suggested, if you go with the Cozumel area, I'd suggest staying in Playa del Carmen and taking a day trip to Cozumel (and Cancun if you want). I have done a lot of research (and probably too much trip advisor reading) and I'd personally suggest staying on the mainland and taking day trips to Cozumel. Either way, I don't think that you can go wrong since it will be a great vacation!

USA
Level Contributor
915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

I went to Cabo in Nov 05 & then Cozumel in early 06. Although the beach is pretty. You cant get in the water at very many places. No one really hung out near the ocean because you couldnt get in. It is exactly as the poster said..."a desert with an ocean" I didnt see the beauty most see I guess. It was about double the cost. They do have some fun places in town, but if Spring Breakers go there, it would be really full and probably not what you want. People at the resort we stayed in werent friendly like the people in Cozumel. I think because it is more expensive they thought they were supreme. They forgot I paid for the same trip :) When you would say Hi at the pool they just turned and walked away. Im not sure I would ever go there again.

Another thing about Cabo..I think it is called Lover's Beach, it was so crowded you didnt even have anywhere to put your towel down. One side solid people the other too dangerous for most to swim in. There were a few surfers on the pacific side.

Hope this helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

What has been said in regard to the comparison I would agree with. Remember Cabo has some pretty rough undertows and the beaches/water aren't near as nice. Yea you can party there and play some nice rds. of golf, but give me Cozumel in a runaway over Cabo.

Houston
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel or Cabo???

I've been to Cabo twice and Coz a dozen or so times. Give me Coz over Cabo ANY TIME!!! I got bored in Cabo even thought I spent half to time on boats. As mentioned earlier, there are a couple of accessable beaches in Cabo, but they're so packed annd not very pretty(I didn't think so). There are miles upon miles of beautiful beaches in CZM. I won't be going back to Cabo. The cab ride alone to/fro San Jose costs ~$80 + tips/rt. Use that money on your CZM hotel.