We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruisers beware!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cruisers beware!

We took a first time cruise over the Christmas holiday from Galveston to Progresso and Cozumel. The day that we were in port in Cozumel there were SEVEN ships in. There are only two slips to get directly off the ship onto dry land. Our ship happened to be one of the five that had to be ferried to the land. It was so late by the time that we got to the beach (and so crowded) that there was a 3hr. wait on jet skis. If you cruise to Cozumel please make sure that there aren't many ships in the day that you port there. I feel sorry for the people staying in Cozumel, I wouldn't try to veture out of my hotel on those crowded ship days!!!! The cruise itself was fun, but I think that the cruise comanies should try and stagger it a bit.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruisers beware!

And thats not the worst of it--sometimes nine ships are in. Its difficult to find a day with less than 5 in the winter season--unless you come on Sunday.

And not all beaches are so crowded. The ships sell to one of several beaches, one of the most crowded being Playa Mia. You can do much better by going to the beach on your own and not buying a ship tour.

Sorry for your bad experience.

oz
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruisers beware!

cozumel had alittle problem with their docks it was called WILMA i think they need less docks and way less ships.

oz
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruisers beware!

i dont think cozumel gets a fair rating when it comes to cruise ship visitors. the island is not always that crowded,trips are not always that crowded. there should be a limit per day ,that way everyone can enjoy the island at a much slower relaxed pace.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruisers beware!

I've been to Cozumel before by taking ferry from Playa. Don't get me wrong Cozumel is beautiful! It is the cruise ship industry that needs to get their act together and try and schedule differently. I guess Wilma did make a difference, though because Playa was originally on our itinerary, but we went to Progresso instead. By no means would I try and shy people away from visiting Cozumel, but check all of the cruise ship itneraries to try and arrive there on a less crowded day.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruisers beware!

Just to give you an idea of the number of the ships, here are the numbers for this week:

Monday 3

Tuesday 6

Wednesday 7

Thursday 7

Friday 4

Saturday 3

Sunday 0

This is a fairly typical week, but less ships than some. Depending on size, the dock space will hold up to 4---until repair is completed on the damaged docks.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruisers beware!

That number of ships per day, posted by Robert is pretty close. Look at it this way..it's better that the early to late 90's when there were twice that many.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruisers beware!

I like that Capt. Ron--look at the positive side!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,627 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruisers beware!

I think I counted about 13 one day pre-Wilma. That may have also been before the sidewalk was widened downtown.

East Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruisers beware!

When we stay on the island, we try to just avoid the main shopping area until about 6:30pm. We go diving, head to the east side or just find a less populated beach. The first time we came to the island on a cruise, we thought all of Coz was like the shopping area. I am glad we know better now.

Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruisers beware!

Thank you everyone for your input. We will be docking next Tuesday and going over to the Reef Club for the day (our friends timeshare). I will make sure I get my tender tickets early so I can spend a full day at the Reef Club. The rest of our group will be doing something else-not sure what! Does anyone have any ideas of what beach would be the best for the sun, drinking and having some fun. Thanks T&JWisconsin