We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
290 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

My husband and I are interested in taking a day trip from Cancun to either Isla Mujeres or Cozumel to enjoy the beach, some drinks at an outside beach bar and some great food.......preferably in our swimsuits. Which location would you recommend for our trip?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

If you are staying i Cancun, it is MUCH easier to get to Isla than to Cozumel, and all the things you want to do are within walking distance of the passenger ferry. Just turn left.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Fort Worth, TX
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

Isla.

we went on a day trip from Cancun and now are planning our 3rd trip in 3 years to Isla.

Take the commercial ferry instaed of the tour boat. It's much cheaper and faster.

You won't want to go back to Cancun

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

I too recommend Isla, try to make as long of a day as you can, you'll love it! Beach bars, great food on the beach, or for fun go into town - everything is within walking distance. Lots of Happy Hours!

Fort Worth, TX
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

It is really nice to go to the North Beach, eat, drink and rent a golf cart to go around the Island. There are beutiful cliffs against the sea. You can go next to Garraffon park and snorkel cheaply.

If you like seafood, read aboout Los Lancheros for the Tik'n Chic.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

I wondered the same thing (when I was staying in Playa del Carmen). We ended up choosing Isla Mujeres because at any one time Cozumel can have thousands of tourists dropped off by any number of cruise ships. Yuck.

Just getting to the ferry was an adventure! Don't pay for a tour!

Once we got off the ferry we rented a golf cart and the rest is history. We'd love to go back and stay there for at least a week. North Beach (Playa Norte) was simply the BEST beach we've ever been too. The waves are placid, the sand is soft and the water is crystal clear, it draws you right out!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,332 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
6. Re: Isla Mujeres or Cozumel for day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 10:24