We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween on Isla

houston
Level Contributor
214 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween on Isla

We will be on Isla from October 28 through November 4. Which nights should we expect trick or treaters, and do they only do this on Hidalgo? I know not to bring candy to give out. I'm trying to figure out how much to bring? Also, Any suggestions on what to bring would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween on Isla

Since Halloween is on a Tuesday, the kids will be trick or treating up and down Hidalgo on the Friday and Saturday before Halloween. So you will see them that Saturday night. Some will have great costumes. Almost every year, one little girl has a beautiful costume made out of plates and plastic silverware. There will be lots of Katrinas, super heros and princesses. There could easily be a hundred kids.

You may want to visit your local dollar store or order online from Oriental Trading Company. Thanks for not wanting to hand out candy. Our local kids eat enough candy, sobritas and soda! Stickers, glow bracelets, erasers, pencils, toothbrushes, temporary tattoos are all big hits. Pesos are also well received. My kids favorite treats last year were rib bites at Asia Caribe, glow necklaces from a visitor, pesos from Freddy Medina at Arrecefe and Halloween pencils from a local foreign resident. The local kids have really adopted the holiday over the years. My kids have multiple costume parties and they all wear different costumes to each one. Fortunately, I have a closet full of costumes from over the years for them and their friends to share.

The Casa Cultura may also have some events for Day of the Dead. They usually announce them a day or two beforehand. Enjoy your time on the Island.

houston
Level Contributor
214 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween on Isla

Tiffany, do you know if there will be an artists fair that Thursday?

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween on Isla

The Casa Cultura has not yet announced the upcoming season's Artist Fair dates. Last I knew they were going to start them November 2nd but nothing has been confirmed. I hope so!!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween on Isla

We will be on Isla for the same dates. Thanks for the reminder to bring something! We were on the island for Halloween two years ago and were unprepared, but enjoyed seeing the kids along Hidalgo and watching the Festival of the Living for the Dead. Can't wait to be back!

Minneapolis...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween on Isla

Do any of the adult tourists dress up at all? We will be there November 1st-5th and are wondering if we should bring a costume?

Reply to: Halloween on Isla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted