We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Staying in November for 3 or 4 days of a 10 day trip. The rest will be PDC and Cancun. I've read all the reviews and they both sound like they will be wonderful. Biggest worry is room assignment but seems like beside an email, its out of control. Is the beach at Ixchel THAT much nicer then Priviledge? Normally don't do AI as we like to explore but is there enough around? Any other advantages / disadvantages?

thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
13 replies to this topic
Morton Grove...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

We have been to both, rooms are great at both but hands down better beach at Ixchel.

Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

We have also stayed at both. We loved both for different reasons. The rooms at each are great. The beach at Ixchel is much more crowded than Privilege, but we prefer the water at Ixchel. There are so many places to eat within walking distance of either, you will definitely not have a problem with finding restaurants close by.

Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Agree with dtagg5. Stayed at both, loved both for different reasons. Ixchel for the incredible view from our ocean front suite with the wraparound terrace and PA for the beach and the great pools. I did not like the beach at Ixchel at all and the pools are very small. If you're not a pool person it won't matter. I also like the beach bar at PA where you can sit at night with a drink. Ixchel's restaurant/bar is more like a snack bar at the pool and closes early.

Edited: 18 September 2017, 21:10
Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

For years we always stayed at Ixchel we loved the Penthouses there, We said we would NEVER stay at PA, A couple years ago the Penthouses we wanted were booked so we booked the Penthouse suite at PA. We are now converted, while we love the rooms at Ixchel with the beach erosion on Playa Norte it is just two crowded these days. The Beach at PA is a great beach , deeper drop off so not as swimmable but also not crowded. PA also has Palapas and Bali Beds as well as a nice quite pool. The social environment is also much better at PA.

If we were traveling with kids or other adults we would probably book Ixchel but as an adult couple the PA. It is only a 5 min walk to Playa Norte from PA, PA is a nice option to get away from the crowds.

We have booked one of the penthouses again this Nov-Dec.

If you want a nicer pool than Ixchel and still be on Playa Norte look at Nautibeach Condo resort (next door to PA)

When we stay at PA and want to be on Playa Norte we usually walk down to Fenix and hang out there

Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,568 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Fenix Lounge
Fenix Lounge
575 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

I agree. With kids I'd stay at Ixchel. Lots of kids and families when we were there. PA is more adult oriented.

Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Thanks everyone!

You have confirmed my gut feeling and we are doing PA in November. Flights booked! Now the question is how long? We are in the area for 10 days. Was thinking about 2 in Cancun, 3 in PDC and 5 here at PA. This seems like it would give us a chance to see everything well enough and still relax

What about the AI at PA? Food seems to get great reviews but we love to explore. Can you bring your own drinks to the pool of have to buy theirs?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Tom L, We've gotten the AI when it was a really good deal. Last December there was an ISmart deal for suite deluxe AI 60% off which was great. In May, however, there was no deal and the AI option was $80 a day for both of us which we didn't feel would be worth it for us. Breakfast is included with all rooms, so you have to decide whether you will eat and drink that much during the day.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

I'm sure if you buy a round of drinks now and then at the pool they won't care if you bring your own. We don't drink during the day so always bring a bottle of water and no one seems to care that we're not ordering anything.

As for AI, we also got it for so ridiculously little (13 dollars a person extra) that it was well worth it just for lunch on the beach and/or a glass of wine at night. Whether it's worth it for you depends on what and how much you eat and drink. Those mixed tropical drinks add up fast at 6 dollars (or more) a pop. So if you're planning on having several each during a day on the beach then it might be worth it. OTOH, there are a lot of restaurants within minutes of walking so if you like variety and don't get a good deal on AI then perhaps it's best to go with just breakfast.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Yea... right now the dates and rooms with the dates and rooms we are looking at its about $75 per day. With Mexico prices and our love to explore, I don't know if we would eat / drink enough to make sense.

Now have to decide between the suite, honeymoon and the big jump to the presidential! Is that huge private terrace and pool worth $90 a night? I'm thinking it is!! Plus the views from up there look incredible from the pictures ive seen.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priviledge vs Ixchel - IM First timer

Not to complicate things (or get ahead of my Trip Report) but we just paid less than $100/night (taxes included) for a 4-night stay at Na Balam, at the other end of Playa Norte. LOVED it. And we were confirmed Ixchel people.

Mentioned in this post
Na Balam Beach Hotel
Na Balam Beach Hotel
919 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,568 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,535 Reviews