We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

I have been doing my research, it looks like the verdict is that Posada Del Mar is a good place to stay for families with little ones.

Any other suggestions? We aren't necessarily looking for a budget hotel, just something decent and nice but not luxurious.

We want a nice safe beach, good swimming pools, good bars, food, and preferably a place where we can leave the babies to nap in the room and have a balcony or bar within very close range to the room so we can hook up our monitors and be able to still enjoy ourselves with the babies sleeping close by.

We want to have a lot of fun with the other couple we are going with, but we definitely want to take our babies and make it a fun family trip too!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

I also want to say that it would be nice to have a room either with a separate sitting area or a big room so that we can put the baby's pack and play/crib far enough away from our bed or in it's own little area. We aren't used to all sleeping in the same room and she doesn't sleep well right next to us.

Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

While Posado del Mar is definitely a popular place to stay, it definitely would NOT be my choice with small kiddos. My wife and I are in our 30's and thought about doing the same with a group recently. We are now glad we decided no to go. I would describe PDM as a "budget" hotel. That's about as nice as I can put it. While the beach is right out front, it is ACROSS the street. There is an old abandoned structure on the property that is just plain pitiful. The rooms are like a motel so as far as not sleeping in the same room with the kids, no chance. If I were traveling with my kids there is only one place I would stay and that is Ixchel Beach Hotel. It'a brand new property right on North Beach with condo units. It is a bit on the expensive side, but as you've always heard, you get what you pay for. If you are traveling with another couple you could get a 2 BR suite and split the cost and it probably wouldn't be too bad. Of course it would be more than PDM, but that's like comparing apples and oranges. I'm sure there are other great places to stay that would be perfect for you, but I would sure give a second thought to PDM.

I know I will get hammered for this post by all the old schoolers who hate the new places going up on Isla, but I thought I'd give my opinion anyway.

If you would like more info, let me know.

BTW, which Tech are you referring to??

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

There is a more affordable alternative to the Ixchel condos: Nautibeach condos. Same nice beach (nicer actually), same restaurant that Ixchel uses (Sunset Grill, but it's right at Nautibeach), good size pool right in front of all the condos, AND you are a little bit farther away from that god-awful beach bar (Chimbo's) that blasts away till all hours on weekends in front of Ixchel. Nautibeach is nicer than Posada but not as expensive as Ixchel. Only downside is that most units have two bedrooms but only one bathroom. If you get a first-floor unit you can be on your patio very close to the sleeping babies.

Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

I don't disagree with Chat. Nautibeach would certainly be my 2nd choice of accomodations. There is a price difference between Ixchel and Nautibeach, but there is also a difference in the 2 properties. Nautibeach is very nice compared to Posado del Mar, but Ixchel is very nice compared to Nautibeach. And just for the record, in 4 trips while staying at Ixchel I have heard the music at Chimbos ONCE, and that was over New Year's weekend last year. It isn't a given that the music will be played, and it isn't a given that it will be a disturbance. When I did hear it, it wasn't that big od a deal due to the location of our room. So, keep all that in mind!

5. Re: 2 young couples with 1 1/2 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 06:18