We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

My husband and I will be on IM from 2/2-2/9. This will be our 2nd trip to the island (1 day trip last winter from Cancun) and first time staying on the island for the week. We are considering doing a snorkeling trip to Isla Contoy. Is it worth it? I heard Captain Tony is a good one to book through? How long is the total trip? All day? How long is the boat ride? Really rough? Any information would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

If you are going to be on Isla for 1 week, you should definately take the trip with Captain Tony. However, I would not call it a snorkeling trip. You do snorkel, but that is not the highlight of the trip. The trip over and back takes about 45 minutes each way. On the way over the boat stops for about 30-45 minutes to get some snorkeling in. As far as snorkeling goes, it is just average. (Other places in the Yucatan are better--such as Cozumel). The boat ride is not rough at all. Captain Tony cooks a really good lunch served on Contoy. As far as the length of the trip, you gather about 8:30, leaving at 9:00 and return around 3:00 or 4:00.

Minnesota
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Certainly you should take the trip with Captain Tony and plan on most of the day. We enjoyed it, but on our trip we experienced rough water, with everyone on the boat getting drenched. I had motion sickness pills and once we got to Contoy was handing them out like candy to my fellow passengers. If you're prone to motion sickness, bring some pills.

Ontario
Level Contributor
804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Mapchick mentions swimming with stingrays on the Island. Is this in a separate area, with an admission charge? Or are there just a lot of them in the shallow water? Do people recommend this?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

There is one tame stingray in the water where the boat is docked. He is fascinating, but I was afraid to touch him! He swam up to people and some touched him. He was not in a separate area and no charge.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Thanks for the information and suggestions so far! Keep them coming. Any other information (other compainies and snorkeling trip info) would be great too!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,271 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Contoy with Capt. Tony. It's a very relaxing day - a little island of unspoiled beauty. However, because Tony only goes out when the weather is calm, you might stop by and see him when you arrive, usually in the early evening - his house is on Matamoros. He'll tell you to come by in the morning - if the weather is good and he has enough people, you go. :)

For just snorkeling around Isla, you might stop by Aqua Adventures on Hidalgo - they run daily snorkel trips that are really fun. The one I did was a drift snorkel - it was about 1-1 1/2 hrs and very enjoyable.

Star City, Arkansas
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

What is the average cost for the Isla Contoy trip? We will be visiting from 3/23 to 3/28.

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Yes.

Capt. Tony will take very good care of you. He will not go if the weather or winds look questionable. The boats are nothing fancy but serve the purpose. Getting wet is what being on the water is about?

The rate last April was $55.00/each. The great meal and beverages were worth at least 1/2 that.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Tony does basic snorkel tours also.

Remember, if Tony says he can't take you becasue of the weather, he knows what he's talking about. He won't take people out if it is going to be too rough. Others will take you no matter what to get your money, but Tony is a very good captain and won't do that.

Definitely go if you can!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Contoy- yes? or no?

Here is a pic of my daughter feeding a ray.

imageevent.com/mapchick/…

Basic snorkel trips with Tony are $18 US per person and he will provide snorkel gear at no extra charge if you need it.