We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone use & roaming

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone use & roaming

We have Alltel service and found out we can purchase the National Freedom plan that provides coverage with no roaming charges. 450 minutes at $59.99 or $.13 minute versus staying with our current plan and paying high roaming charges.

Has anyone used Alltel on Isla? How good is the signal and where can it be accessed? And do the pay phones accept Walmart type calling cards.

We were able to access a tower on St. Thomas while staying on Tortola last April and use our Alltel service with no roaming charges. Cool.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone use & roaming

We tried to use Alltel on Isla last May. It does not work. In dealing with Alltel while I was trying to find out what plan to purchase, I got a different answer every time I called! It was very frustrating. I did purchase something they told me to get, but it did not work.

We went to Cozumel in July. Same story.

I would hope that they have improved their verbal communication with this situation by now, but I don't know.

We used Diga Me when we wanted to call home. Our kids just couldn't call us (and when they called the desk at Cabanas Maria del Mar, we were never informed about their calls except one morning when they came to get us). There are calling cards you can buy to call home.

Hopefully, there are others out there who have had a positive experience. I have heard there is a cell phone you can rent there during your stay. That might be a good idea.

2. Re: Cell phone use & roaming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2008, 16:05
3. Re: Cell phone use & roaming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 18:18