We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Donations on Isla, what's needed?

I've seen a couple posts about this. I figure we can bring an extra suit case with us, we'll surely need the room for things we purchase there. I think most of us can do this.

What's needed? Where can we drop them off? Anyone with insight on this please respond.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Mr. Hola - what a wonderful idea - to give back to Isla! :) There are a few places that really appreciate donations . . . the La Gloria English School (www.folges.org), the Little Yellow Schoolhouse (www.isla-mujeres.net/school/home.htm),and to help the animals:(www.islaanimals.org). I am pretty certain that they have a Red Cross as well, but I don't have a link for that.

Every place varies on what they like to receive - I know that copy paper is a big hit. I would contact each site directly to see what they need as that would probably be most helpful.

On the www.islamujeres.info site, Chris (a local and the website creator) just had a request posted yesterday for current needs - i am hoping this link works for you - if it doesn't, just get on the chatter page for the specifics.

http://www.islamujeres.info/communicating/open_forum.asp?locked=N&entry={747014EF-42FC-484D-9158-A98F73EBBE4F}

Our first trip, we brought good quality used clothes, school supplies and such in some extra suitcases, and then had plenty of room for the souvenirs we bought - the island benefits from both! Best wishes to you. :)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
100 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

That is so wonderful! My boyfriend and I were in Isla Mujeres last year and we visited La Gloria English School. We donated money directly to the school but they do have a need for clothing (generally children’s) and believe it or not paper. Depending on how long you are staying, you can even sign-up to be a volunteer in their classes. You can visit their site for the most up-to-date list of needs. Have a great time! http://www.folges.org/help.htm

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

We also donated money to the La Gloria English School last year and they really appreciated it. Things we take for granted are a God-send to them. Kudos Mr Hola for your kindness. Have a blessed and safe trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Thanks for the tip on islamujeres.info/chatterbox

Is this a different school than the one that was metioned? Does it all go to the same place/ same cause? should we divide up drops?

The following message copied from islamujeres.info:

PEACE Isla Mujeres will be holding a fundraising clothing and household Bazaar (very popular in Mexico!) coming up on April 19th. We are in need of donations of gently used clothing and household items (working electronics, toys, kitchen things, etc) to sell at our Bazaar. So if you are already here or planning on coming down, please look through your things and see if there is anything that you could donate. All proceeds will go to PEACE Isla Mujeres, the new Nonprofit Foundation on the Island.

Donations can be dropped off before April 17th at the Little Yellow School House, M-F 4-7pm

Please contact Anna Douglas (998 224 3323 - Mexico, anna@peace-islamujeres.org) if you have any questions or need help with coordination

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Mr. Hola: Yes, each is a different organization - the PEACE thing is totally new and I am not very familiar with that one, but it sounds great. The La Gloria school is there to teach Islenos(adult & children) better English skills - both verbal and written, which improves their marketability. The Yellow Schoolhouse is for disabled kids that can't go to regular school.

The first time I brought donations, I went to La Gloria, though I had stuff the the Little Yellow school house as well (which was closed that day), so the folks at LaGloria said they would be happy to drop them off when they were open. I believe that La Gloria has a few drop off locations in the down town area as well as you can go to the school, though they specify on their website the hours they would prefer you visit, so that you don't interupt lessons. I would go to each site to check the specifics - and you can also post on the www.islamujeres.info forum - they would be happy to direct you as well. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

P.S.: I forgot to add that there are some drop offs for LaGloria English school if you can't make it to the school: All donations must be brought to Isla Mujeres, but if you don't have time to bring them out to the school, there are several places in the downtown of Isla Mujeres where they can be left, and we can come and pick them up. Please email us at: lagloria@gmail.com or call us at 888-0666 to let us know you have dropped them off.

1. the Francis Arlene Hotel on Avenida Guerrero,

2. the office at Nautibeach Condos

3. Aqua Adventures next to Sancocho’s Grill

Sorry I forgot to include that yesterday. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Mr. CoalMiner thank's for all your information. We're definetley going to visit the schools directly

and see how we can help. You have been quite helpfull! Again, Gracias!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

In February we took a luggage full of items to the La Gloria English School. They have a list of needed items on their website (so does the Little Yellow School House). I did hear them saying to someone else while we were waiting that they need reems of copy paper and that a lot of people don't bring those due to the weight of them. They were very appreciative. It was great meeting the owner! We brought all sort of office supplies from pens, pencils, and scotch tape, to games and toys for the kids. You can donate your time there, however the minimum time is one hour per day Monday-Thursday. We dropped our items off on Friday. I think Tuesday and Friday are the drop off days or like mentioned before, there are other places in town you can drop your items off. All of this info. is on their website. It was great and we plan to do it again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

It was due for a bump to the top:-)

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donations on Isla, what's needed?

Thanks Coalminer, Mr. Hola and all the others who contributed to this thread. We are packing an extra bag for donations for our trip on the 5th.