We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Well....So do we! Where did you stay and what did you pay? How did you book? Separately or package deal? Travel agent or online?

We stayed at the Avalon Reef Club for 7 nights.

Flight- out of Seattle

We did the package deal through Hotwire.com

Booked 3 weeks in advance...

Total for 2 people- $2002

Please share what you did? Gracias!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

we always watch for the hot deals on charter airlines near us, you have to be able to go on short notice to do this, then we either book our own hotel online, or wait until we get there and find a room.

norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

is that with food and drink?We fly out of new york and paid 480.00 round trip for one,then we stay at the hotel vistalmar which is cheap,third floor was 30 something dollars a day we pay a few dollars more for a frig.. What a great view,no place better.we only eat at mexican owned places which is a little cheaper then the gringo owned places.don't know what it all cost.we stayed three months,came home when we couldn't get any more money fron the machine at the bank.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

you made me laugh treasureman! you came home when you couldn't get any more money out of the machine! :)

I guess that would be a good time to go home.

Hey, I can only think of maybe 3? gringo owned restuarants, maybe you can e-mail me, I'm just curious.

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

3 months...nice! Yes, it was all inclusive. If we did our flights seperate it was about $650 each, so I figure we paid $100 per night. We tried to use our miles to pay for one ticket, but it would have cost about $5-600 more total. It was a tough decision :-)

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Hi booked separately.

RT air US$316pp including all taxes and fees booked myself using kayak.com

3 nights Cabanas Maria del Mar and 2 nights Cristalmar, about US480 with Kathryn's Travel

Transfer from ferry to airport $65 one way

travel insurance $145

We are going for 15 nights so will have other costs for non-Isla hotels and $450 for 10 days car rental.

Mentioned in this post
Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Cabanas Maria Del Mar
762 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Let's see - first trip to Isla we used Mornings in Mexico to book our accommodations, stayed at the Frances Arlene for about 9 days/$60 and then Posada del Mar for about $80 - we were there for 2 full weeks and ate out exclusively. We used our Alaska Airlines companion fare, so I think it was around $800 a ticket, so that made it about $450 each. We used Best Day for airport transfer, which is $17pp rt.

Our second trip to Isla, we used mileage, so under $100 per person for paying taxes/fees and that included a trip to Michigan in there. We booked Hotel d'Gomar via Kathryn's Travel for $50 per night, and booked our travel insurance w/her for about $75 - also used Best Day again.

Have booked for this coming Christmas Break - we'll be staying at Glady's apartments, which I booked via email w/Glady's - will be about $75 per day for a family . . . we used 2 Alaska companion fares and did one mileage ticket. I'll use Best Day again for our transport.

We figure about $50 a day for food and drinks when traveling as two, but that really varies . . . sometimes we buy from the local market for breakfast/lunch, and so food costs are even lower . . . and then other times we splurge and top off a nice dinner w/dessert at Color d Verano and go way over that budget. We'll be doing less eating out on our upcoming trip with kids, but then we'll be doing more snorkel trips and such.

If you stayed at one of the cheaper hotels (which we love) and used an Alaskan companion fare, you could do it pretty cheap and stay even longer. Hope that helps you some. :)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Hotel Posada Del Mar
Hotel Posada Del Mar
620 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Hotel D'Gomar
Hotel D'Gomar
126 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Best Day
Best Day
4,753 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Irma
Level Contributor
272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Capital one credit card miles...flight no charge (NWA non-stop Mpls-Cancun. Ticket value 345.00.

Villas Punta Sur Two weeks 560.00

Transfers/ferry/taxi/bus 120.00

Food and beverage for 15 days 500.00

Two sightseeing trips (Contoy, Tulum etc) 95.00

15 days total trip expense 1195.00 (1540.00 if you include value of airline ticket)

If my wife chooses to go (she prefers winter ski destinations) 875.00/person for 15 days. (1220.00/person including airline ticket value.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Sur
Punta Sur
2,880 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ill
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Repeta por favor: Avalon Reef Club was all inclusive,all meals,drinks,etc. Is that correct MR. Hola? Gracias DK

Seattle
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

Hola dster! Sí, fue todo inclusivo.

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So...do you want to fly and stay on Isla for CHEAP?

We just returned from our first visit to Isla & had a great time. Wonderful people, relaxing place and the cheapest vacation we have had in years.

We booked our air through Orbitz in January at $373 each with NWA out of Mps. Villas Punta Sur was our home for 8 days and we loved the place. 1BR w/kitchen

and great pool area/palapa for just $35 a night. Very quiet, clean and simple. Its on the south end just 1/4 north of Garaffon.

We used a golf cart for the week which was essential if you want to avoid taxi's. And got a fantastic deal through Juan at Mayan Resorts at Hidalgo/Abesola. Juan is a great guy. For $150, we got the cart, two for one to Contoy with Capt Tony and a two for one snorkel for a total of $150.00.

We took the plunge and did the promo visit to the Mayan at Puerto Morales. Beautiful resort. The promo included free round trip ferry to Cancun, van transportation and fantastic breakfast. We ended up buying a fractional ownership in a two bedroom condo which we had no intentions of doing.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Sur
Punta Sur
2,880 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico