We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Does anyone have any idea of how far long this hotel is? Or, in other words, whether they have any hope of making their February 2009 opening date? Thanks!

Nautibeach Condos
Nautibeach Condos
#4 of 38 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi
Hotel Bahia Chac Chi
#11 of 38 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites
Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites
#12 of 38 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

I never count on any resorts scheduled opening date in Mexico :)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Well, yeah, I'd agree :) What I didn't know was.... was the Feb 2009 date their "first" opening date, or have they already pushed it back?

We need to get your map! It looked like Aluxes had a fabulous location, but I'm not completely sure-- was more intrigued by new hotel, gourmet food, and teaser pricing to accommodate the inevitable bumps in the road with a new opening.

Have you seen the hotel?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

I'm wondering about this place too. We're looking at it for March 2009. The price per night is really good ($275) - I had to look twice to make sure it's all-inclusive! However, looking at the computer generated photos online I was dispappointed to see kitchenettes in the rooms. We really aren't looking for a condo experience, and I think kitchenettes will encourage more families (we're looking for adults-only preferably).

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Holy Moly, where is this place? I could only find one map that implied that it was almost on top of Jax, could that be true?

Kate

Mentioned in this post
JAX Bar & Grill
JAX Bar & Grill
1,297 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Yes, Aluxes is a large condo-hotel project directly north of Jax and across the street. It is still in construction... several stories high... running from the beach east to the town cemetery. Whether it is worth it as an all-inclusive depends entirely, of course, on how good the food and liquor will be on the premises. One can certainly stay on Playa Norte for less money, and food and liquor are readily available on Isla.. particularly at that location, which is an easy walking distance to all the restaurants and bars in town. But there are some folks who like the pre-paid security of the all-inclusive concept, and this will give them one more option on the island. "All-inclusive" hardly seems necessary in such a safe, small and friendly island, but it seems to be part of the over-all "gentrification" of Isla Mujeres. Anybody who books Aluxes early should be aware... just as at Excellence Playa Mujeres... you may have to put up with the sound of on-going construction, if the developers stagger the openings of different sections of the project.

Mentioned in this post
JAX Bar & Grill
JAX Bar & Grill
1,297 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,415 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Excellence Playa Mujeres
Excellence Playa Mujeres
13,158 Reviews
Playa Mujeres, Mexico
minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

That's pretty sad to me. Does that mean Isla is going to be another Cozumel?

Kate

MEXICO DF
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Hi Guys! Just wanna say that as far as i know, this Privilege Aluxes is not a condo / sort of Cozumel kinda project. It will be All Inclusive / marked as Gourmet with three specialties restaurants, gonna have 124 units, most of them ocean view, and those named suites are gonna be amazing with jacuzzi in the terrace.Great actually (but not selling timeshare!! just normal hotel operation (Thank God!).

OH!!! And the first official agent or franchise (whatever) of Ibiza Cafe del Mar.

If you ask me, they will sooo open by February. I think that actually December will be ready.

I ve been in the island like three weeks ago, and had been able to see (dont ask me why as normally you are not suppoused to get into constructions, but one got friends) the model unit and think is worth it. It was about time that why not having a perfectly kitchenette suite fully furnished and being all inclusive at the same time (w/o TS of course). For what i ve heard is gonna be the larger hotel in island, mean for the number of units.

Mentioned in this post
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,206 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Privilege Aluxes may be all-inclusive and gourmet and amazing, but it is NOT a normal hotel operation. It is a peculiar kind of vacation condo-hotel. The developer is currently selling the individual units to buyers who pay from $285,000 to $675,000. BUT buyers can use the unit only 30-days a year. Beyond that they have to pay hotel prices. And they don't really control rental or maintenance of the unit, which is even decorated by the developer. The other 335 days a year the unit is offered out for rent to hotel guests, and the unit "owners" get a "guaranteed" rate of return. Gee, what a deal. Good luck suing (or re-selling) if the operators ever default on the "guarantee." No control of maintenance or operating expenses. No control of renting out the unit you "own." Buyer beware. Renters, enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,206 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

Actually, I think that's an interesting concept. The gotchas are there, as you point out (you don't have control as an owner); on the other hand, the hotel is answering some of the major issues I've always had with projects that are largely condo and owner-owned/operated. The room matters to us (I know it doesn't to some people-- but it really, really does to us) and I've found that individually owned condos that are decorated by their owners don't always look like the pics on the website (no shocker there) and my taste doesn't always jive with the owners. I LOVE the idea of a condo that was decorated by the hotel's decorator rather than by me or you.

I've also always thought that trying to rent/advertise your own condo would be quite a bit of work. Perhaps this is an answer to that. I find a "guaranteed" rate of return hard to believe (perhaps it's feasibly low- dunno), but that's a lovely idea.

Yes, the "no control" over maintenance, etc. is not a happy thought. I wonder if you have it anywhere else, realistically? I suppose the 30-days business means you're not retiring to the place or loaning it out much to friends. At this point in our lives (we're 30-somethings with kids and full-time jobs), 30 days of vacation time seems unbelievable. Hopefully, when we're 65, it won't seem so far-fetched!

I do wonder how they handle the AI part. I realize that they have a superb location for finding food/drink, but we're going down to Marina el Cid for Tday and many of the bad reviews of that place center around timeshare/RCI folks who booked and then had enormous headaches trying to get food/drink thru the hotel (or paid fees that were close to what we paid for our nightly rate... which just has to make you question the whole RCI/timeshare thing).

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Status of new Privilege Aluxes?

There are several 'condotel' complexes in Belize where mine is that are managed alone these lines. I don't have a 'guaranteed' rate of return, but ours is a small place and it's full all winter/spring. We get a percent of the income, the managers get their share, and then there are shared expenses. If the managers think we need new furniture, they buy it and we pay. Obviously, you have to trust your manager. We're also in one of the few that allows us to stay there as along as we want each year. We'll be there five weeks this winter, probably three months next. Our neighbors downstairs are there November through May.

All that said, I'm willing to bet that this place as an all-inclusive won't last. Too much wonderful cheap food. And I understand these places are condos, that means kitchens.

On a final note, I think it's a real shame that the people in charge on Isla allowed building to be built that are 'taller than a palm tree', that would be three stories.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America