We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus

Seattle WA.
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Bus

Does the bus run all the way around the island? If we were staying on the far south side could we use the bus instead of taxis to get to North beach? Thanks again

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus

Isla Mujeres has a bus? Last time we were there in '06 it was only taxis and golf carts! :)-

southern ontario
Level Contributor
943 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus

The bus goes all the way up to the Pirate Mundaca Park area and then it turns around. I have never timed it right to catch the bus.

We stay in La Gloria on the Caribbean side and find it's cheap enough to just take a taxi to centro- for around 2 dollars U.S.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus

The buses run circle routes... in opposite directions... around the northern half of the island. If you stay at the far southern end you would have to walk as much as two-and-a-half miles to the bus. The southernmost stop is at the glorieta (traffic circle) between Isla Palace and Hacienda Mundaca.

Carroll Gardens
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus

The buses go from North Beach to the traffic circle by Sac Bajo/Zoo - about 1/2 way - and then back.

They run from the convention center, down Medina, south and back.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus

The island is so small your best bet is to take a cab for around $5...

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
72 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus

What is the bus fare and is exact change necessary?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus

The bus is 650 pesos, about $45.00.

:-)

I do think it is 35 pesos - if you don't have exact $$, leave the remainder with the driver. Tip! And you now have a friend!

The bus is silly to take for a vacationer who is looking to get somewhere. Too much time waiting. However, as a slice of life and as a tour of Isla and a first hand witness of its people - go for it!

Another "trip" off Isla is to take the giant, slow car ferry from just south of the people ferry. The car ferry goes back and forth to Punta Sam and, if you do take the sunset ferry - a nice, cheap tour. Take a small cooler and some snack ... subsetr crusie for I think $7 pp. Then either take it back or take a taxi to Grand Puerto Cancun from Punta Sam and take the people ferry.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,854 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus

I have wanted to take the bus . . . I see them when I don't need them, but when I need one, then I can't find one. :)

I have some friends that really enjoyed their times on the bus - get to experience Isla much more like a local - and you sure can't beat the price. :)

9. Re: Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 03:18