We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tulum

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Tulum

Is is reasonable to do this from Isla in one day? It looks far on the map, but i'm seeing tours advertised. i would love to see it but not sure it's doable.

thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,599 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Tulum

It would be a long day, but you could do it - we did the Chichen Itza/Ek Balam ruin tour - left the island around 7 am and returned about 9:30. I just have a hard time leaving Isla . . .

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Tulum

would you recommend chitchen itza over tulum?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,599 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Tulum

I haven't been to Tulum, so I can't really judge that - I think the uniqueness of Tulum is the fact that it is on the coast. I have heard that it isn't as detailed. This is the tour we went on and it was fabulous: entertainment-plus.net/tour_chichen_private.… We did option #3 . . . and we made our own group, so it was actually a good deal. Hope this helps you some. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Tulum

My 2 centavos would be – if you can swing it – do Tulum or Chchen itza before going to Isla. Do a night or two or three and then go to Isla. If you can.

Tulum is only about 70 miles or so south of Cancun. It is doable and I would go to Cancun and bargain with a taxi to take you for the day. You must go to the ruins and swim there, you must visit the pueblo and you must eat at 1-2 or the better places: Pollo Bronco, El Mariachi, the restaurant at Hotelito (??), Zamas on the beach. A cab would cost … ??? … $80-100 … ???? The bus would be cheaper but you would spend time waiting, driving slowly and stropping a lot.

Plus with a cab, you can head toward Coba after Tulum and swim in a cenote, etc. and you control how long, etc. Stop in San Fran market on Rt 307 and the road to Coba and get some tequila , etc., at really cheap prices to take back.

Chichen Itza has tours from Cancun. I think it too is about $75-90 … ??? The buses offer movies, bathrooms and refreshments, as well as the entrance fee. Check into it. When I went, it was an 8:30 AM bus that returns from CI at 4 or so. You are back in Isla … 9 or so. Set your watch.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Tulum

Hey, Baltimorefrog, when are you going? My wife I re from Baltimore and we'll be down there April 25 - May 02.

I have the same question, though I plan on getting one of the smaller places in Tulum for an overnight while the bulk of our stuff stays back at the room in Isla.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Tulum

Your idea of spending 1 night in Tulum is a GREAT idea. You didn't mention how many days your traveling or what time of year. But, I would maybe suggest spending 2-3 nts. in Tulum. Great area to explore.

We just returned from 1 week in a rental house on the beach in Tulum. Luv'd it....5th time down Riveria Maya area. Still have much more to see, do and restaurants to try.

In the process of planning our annual June girl trip. Plans are 4 nts on Isla and 3 nts in Tulum. Renting a car at the Ferry for our Tulum part of the trip.

Good luck with your trip planning.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Tulum

Hi- we'll be there May 23-30 so a couple of weeks after you. too bad, we could have shared a tour!

my latest thought is to go to chitchen itza instead, taking a one day private tour through entertainment-plus. their tours have gotten great reviews on here as well as on islamujeres.info

have a great trip! i am counting the days already....esp. after the rainy weekend we had here at home:)

8. Re: Day trip to Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 19:18