We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkel boat tour?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
33 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
snorkel boat tour?

My husband and I would like to take a day trip to Isla Mujeres from Cancun. I am trying to decide if we should make a reservation through a dive company to do one of their snorkel tours. Our hotel had recommended the Garrafon Park package, but after reading some of the forum posts, it seems that this might not be the best experience. We would like to have the freedom to roam the island a bit, and eat at a local restaurant, rather than park food. I also like the idea of visiting a few different reefs. I see that many people enjoyed the snorkeling at Garrafon de Castilla, which seems low key and fun. But I am wondering if anyone out there has done a boating snorkel excursion? We did one in Aruba and loved it! Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

minneesota
Level Contributor
215 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkel boat tour?

we used Captain Tony, He is an Isla favorite and someone will undoubtedly be able to tell you to where to find his shop. Also we enjoyed Isla Contoy for snorkeling, we went with Capt Tony.

Kate

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkel boat tour?

With Captain Tony (house on Matamoros), Isla Contoy, a bird sanctuary, is a full-day trip, including one snorkeling stopon a reef on the way... and lunch on the island. To snorkel several reefs, on your own schedule, you would do better to hire a lancha (boat) for a private tour. As you step off the ferry dock on Isla, walk left on the sidewalk to the concrete shack that is the office for one of the snorkeling boat cooperatives. Make a deal with one of the boat operators there. You could easily snorkel El Farito (the little lighthouse) and Manchones Reef in half a day -- at your leisure. People enjoy Garrfon de Gastilla because it is relatively inexpensive (compared to Garrafon Park), easily done from shore, and does NOT involve a reef; therefore vests are not required. You are merely viewing the fish who are attracted to the fish food and the pier pilings. At the true reef dives, you are required to wear a vest... for the protection of the coral.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
817 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkel boat tour?

Go to islamujeres.info there is a lot of advertisers there for snorkeling trips. Check out Isla Stories for trip reports about the snorkeling experiences of others. There are Q&A and Chatter Board posts that you will find helpful.

WARNING: You will want to spend more than a day on Isla!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,437 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkel boat tour?

We have used Aqua Adventures for snorkel trips on Isla - you can find their office on Hidalgo. :)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
33 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkel boat tour?

Thanks for the help!

6. Re: snorkel boat tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 16:20