We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

boston
2 posts
Save Topic
How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Hi,

My daughter is thinking of going to Avalon Reef Club

for spring break. All my friends say Mexico is too

dangerous now? How safe is Isla Mujeres??

Thanks for your help,

Concerned MOM

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Well, there was a recent thread about that subject on the www.islamujeres.info . . . on their chatter forum I believe. Isla is not a border town, so not one of the areas of Mexico that is having these problems.

Me - I feel Isla is one of the safest travel destinations, better than some of our cities here in the US. But only you can decide what is best for your daughter.

Carroll Gardens
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

I put my post in your other post which is double post for my post is not -- sorry, you know what I mean :-))

Read in your other tread! Isla is safe.

Carroll Gardens
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

See here my videos that many seem to love and see how nice and mallow Isla is to be:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBKzL_3uEM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ZOLJvaPFI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WSFPK7NpOnM

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

I have traveled throughout the Caribbean and in my opinion, Isla Mujeres is one of the safest islands. It is also one of the safest tourist destinations in Mexico. I visit the island frequently, and I have seen no change in its character since the drug violence began on the Mexican border, which is 1400 miles away. Isla is a small town and a small island where tourists are the lifeblood. Would your friends tell your daughter not to go to Martha's Vineyard because Detroit has a high crime rate? Their comments are ignorant.

everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Isla vs Seattle? I pick Isla, the people are wonderful and I was with my 8+10 year olds by myself alot.(Hubby scuba diving) Cant say I would have done that in Seattle. You will love the Avalon with kids. Very safe!

everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Sorry- Just re-read your daughter is a spring breaker. Id be glad she picked Isla over Cancun.LOL

boston
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. She's a savy travler, spent a semester in London and treavelled all over Europe. She'll be with 2 other friends, so I'm sure they'll have fun

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

Hey Mom - you know its 2009??? : )

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
873 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

I just returned from Isla. If your daughter is a seasoned traveler, has a good head on her shoulders, and won't be looking to sell or buy drugs, Isla is a good destination for her. Not much night life, but enough to do that they should have a good time.

10. Re: How Safe is Isla Mujeres now (2008) with Drug wars etc ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:17