We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Trip report - paradise

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Trip report - paradise

My husband and I just spent 10 days on Isla (2.28 - 3.10. It was my third trip, but his first, and he fell under the island's spell as totally as I have.

We stayed at Villa Makax on Sac Bajo. Though it is a few miles out of town, the quiet mornings and wonderful sunsets more than make up for the cost of the golf cart we rented (Isla Golf Carts on Juarez, $47 per day).

Our half cottage had a small kitchen and opened up to a great little porch and a palapas right next to the beach. It was pure heaven. The mornings were quiet, but catamarans came in at the adjacent properties some days. They were gone by 4 PM, so the evenings were mostly quiet as well.

We usually ate breakfast in town (Alexia y Geovanny and Manana were our favorites, then picked up a roasted chicken at La Mexicana roticerie (Guerrero) for lunch or sometimes dinner. We also had amazing chicken and ribs from the rib guy (Sunday mornings on Matamoros), and some incredible enchilada's at La Lomita (Juarez). My husband also fell in love with the flan sold by a wonderful woman outside the big grocery store. She was there on weekend nights.

As I said in another post, Isla is a safe place for a vacation. The locals are warm and generous. The police made patrols at night and other than a few drunks, they just kept an eye on things.

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

Thanks for posting - I love Isla trip reports! We are headed back in May and I can't wait!

everett wa
Level Contributor
803 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

Yeah!!I love hearing about trip reports from people who love Isla as much as we do! I never had a back ache the whole time I was there- Never felt better. I cant wait to go back in May. 5 1/2 weeks to go! Thanks for the trip report!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

Now that is wonderful!! Thanks. You hit many of my eateries - and I wonder: MY flam lady is on Hidalgo across from the Zocolo at 7-8-9 AM. After 8, tho, hard to get the flan as it sell out.

OK, more food stories, dinner, etc., and PHOTOS!!!! Woth 1,000 words!!

How is North Beach??

Again, thanks so much!!

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

North Beach is fantastic right now!!! :-)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

Our first trip to Isla a couple yrs back was 3 nts at Villa Makax & we loved it. So laid back, and about sundown, it was wonderful to grab a drink & watch the day-trippers heading back to Little Vegas, 6 mi. across the bay. Whole island quiets down about that time of day. So relaxing. We just booked our 4th trip for May, out of Austin, $132.00 pp/rt. Aerobus running great promotional fars out of Austin right now. Thanks for the Trip Report!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

Always good to hear about someone having had a good time on lovely Isla - thanks for sharing with us. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

OK catzen - meow!!! I want a link to your photos!!!

Don't make me come to NH to see them :-))

8. Re: Isla Trip report - paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 01:18