We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres Apartments-Casas

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres Apartments-Casas

We are planning a trip to Isla Mujeres in Feb, 2010 and are having trouble finding the type of Apartment or Casa in a location and price that we would prefer. We are looking for suggestions. We really like the Punta Piedra II, ($70 USD per day with a pool and on a beach) but it already has very few opeings in Feb. Casitas del Mar and Mary y Sol both look good, but I can find no reviews on Trip Advisor or much info on either property. Does anyone know anything about these two or have any suggestions for similar properties that they can recommend? We want to get our accomodations tied down before we book our airfare.Thank you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres Apartments-Casas

Yes, many of those popular places are booked a yaer or two in advance. Please look at contacting Gladys - she specializes in budget accommodations around the island and I am sure she could assist you. She is wonderful to work with. http://islabudgetrentals.com/home

For better feedback, I would also post this on www.islamujeres.info. I know people on that forum have stayed in those places. Good luck! :)

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres Apartments-Casas

Casitas del Mar are very cute little apartments, on the Caribbean side, across the road from the sea. There is no beach, just a cliff, but you can walk a little down the road to an east side beach where you can wade and hunt for shells. They have a lovely patio with palapa umbrellas and small tables. So you have a bit of a view and you get the sea breezes, but you are not right on a beach. The casitas are within walking distance of local dining and tiendas in Col La Gloria, and taxis are readily available and are only 21 pesos into town.

Mar y Sol is on the west side, facing Cancun, right on the beach. There are old apartments and new apartments, I think I read somewhere that the better view was in the old apartments, but not sure. The beach is white sand and lovely, although there is sea grass in the water, as there is on any of the west side beaches. You get very little breeze on the west side, but in February that might be a plus (we had a lot of wind this last February and at night it felt quite chilly - so not having a breeze might be nice). The downside to staying at Mar y Sol is the location - you are close to the south point, so not many options for dining within walking distance - Garrafon Hotel (50 peso entrance fee), El Pueblito (when open), and Casa Tik n Xix (a bit of a walk) are about the only daytime choices for restaurant food in the area. There is a small tienda where you can buy refreshments a bit down the road. Taxis are about 50 pesos (or more) into town, so you might want to rent your own transportation if you plan to go back and forth a lot. However, if you are interested in preparing some of your own meals, you would not need to go off your private beach. There are lovely sunsets from that area as well.

There are obviously other options but for high-season pricing, you would be best to contact one or all of the rental agents who specialize in this - you can find a list of the agents <a href="http://www.myislamujeres.com/info/links.asp">here</a>. Some rentals are managed privately by the property owners and you can find a list of those properties on this site and the other site as well.

http://www.myislamujeres.com/info/links.asp

Good luck!

3. Re: Isla Mujeres Apartments-Casas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 06:18