We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

My wife and I are thinking about a week on Isla in mid-October (and hoping the hurricane season is finished by then). Never been to Isla before, though I've researched it several times over quite a long stretch of years, only to end up in the Caribbean each time instead.

My short-list of lodgings is by no means rigid, but I think we'd like to be on or close to North Beach for this first trip.

Hotel Secreto is quite appealing because it seems like an excellent value, with the prices reduced 50% for the off-season. Is the beach there, and in front of MediaLuna, an actual sandy beach, or is it rocky? (I understand the water isn't swimable there.) How far a walk to a nice stretch of beach from which to swim?

Na Balam is appealing, but there are a surprising number of negative reviews on TripAdvisor.

Any thoughts on the comparative merits of Nautibeach and Ixchel? It appears they share the same stretch of beach... which is reputed to get crowded from day-trippers. I'm guessing, however, that nothing on Isla will be particularly crowded in October.

Your thoughts?

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

First of all, absolutely do not count on hurricane season being over in mid October! The last hurricane to hit Isla and Cancun HARD causing much damage was Wilma in 2005 and it was around Oct. 22. Whatever you do, get travel insurance.

There is a lovely sand beach in front of Secreto and Media Luna but you are right, it is not swimable. It is rocky on the shore line (big rocks!). But it is a very short walk to Playa Norte from those hotels, just around the corner.

Nautibeach and Ixchel are pretty close to each other, neither of their beaches get a lot of day trippers. That time of year is quiet, no beach will be crowded I don't think. While Ixchel is much newer than Nautibeach, the 2 building complex is big nondescript "boxes" that could be plopped anywhere. Nautibeach has a more pleasing charm and would be my choice :-). Just one opinion!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

I completely agree with the above poster. Ixchel may be newer but has absolutely no character compared to Nautibeach. Also, IMO the pool is much nicer at Nautibeach, and the beach itself is wider. The grounds at Nauti are beautiful. Ixchel's is nondescript.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

IMO Ixchel WITHOUT A DOUBT!

It is newer and very nicely appointed, with every amenity you could want. It is pretty much next door to Nautibeach and for the most part the same nice beach.

We have stayed at both places and much prefer Ixchel I over Nautibeach (never stayed in II). I like the nice clean newness of Ixchel over Nautibeach's oldness.

First choice Ixchel

Second choice Nautibeach

Third choice Hotel Secreto over Media Luna

Have Fun!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

you need to check out Privilege Aluxes.... brand new, GREAT RATES, on North Beach next to Ixchel. They have all inclusive (dont do, too many awesome places to eat within walking distance!!!) and room/breakfast buffet plan. I hear their breakfast is great! We are staying at Priv Aluxes in a few weeks and are doing the room/breakfast - wanting to take advantage of their reduced rates right now since they are brand new! May not get that opportunity again in the future at the current discounted rates! Have Fun!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
243 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

We have stayed at Ixchel and Nautibeach and they are both nice. When we were there over last 4th of July the beach infront of Nautubeach was nicer than Ixchel but you won't go wrong with either property.

6. Re: Short list: Secreto; MediaLuna; Na Balam; Nautibeach; Ixchel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 07:18