We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NON resorty accomodation

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
NON resorty accomodation

Hello all.

My fiance and I spent a week in West End, Roatan, Honduras this past winter. We loved the laid back atmosphere, dirt roads and lack of mega hotels in West End. Unfortunately, with the country being in the midst of a military coup, we think it may be wise to avoid Honduras for now.

Somebody recommended Isla Mujeres as an "off the beaten path" island that has not yet been ruined by gaudy high rise hotels and flocks of "boat people" (you know, the nervous looking folk from the cruise ships wearing socks under their sandals and clutching their personal belongings).

Can anybody recommend a decent, midrange hotel (not a hostel, but not an all inclusive resort) that is walking distance to town as well as close to a beach? Local/family owned is a huge plus.

Thank you-

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Check out the Posada del Mar. Family owned, across the street from a beach where you get free loungers as guests; brand new pool, palapa bar, good restaurant, and very clean and affordable. If you book the oldest section you can overlook the beach and water. We paid 67 dollars off season, and 100 in high season. Just around the corner a couple of blocks in downtown.

Another you may check out on North Beach is Maria's Cabanas del Mar. A little more expensive and you don't get free loungers. But it's very popular with people.

Smack in the middle of downtown is Plaza Almendros, very reasonable, few minutes to beach. It has a pool, and is also very popular.

On Isla most of the accommodations are non-resorty and there is not a "boat person" in sight :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Correction: Just around the corner a couple of blocks IS downtown (not in downtown lol)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
131 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NON resorty accomodation

I second travelerNY's comment that most of Isla is non-resorty and though Cancun day-trippers come over, they're not the socks & sandals & fanny-packers you're looking to avoid. Plus, day-trippers catch the ferry back to Cancun in the evening ;)

I probably won't be the only person to strongly suggest that you get a mapchick map -- I went without one last year & had a great time, but now that I have it, all bets are off -- it'll help so much in planning & really feeling confident in your decisions. In the meantime, have a look at islamujeres.info for hotel listings that show each property on a map. It's not the most comprehensive hotel listing (just wait 'til you see mapchick's, seriously), but I think it's a handy though basic resource for getting the search going. Then you can come back to TA to check out reviews of the spots you're interested in.

I stay half-way down the island, at Villa La Bella, and I'd recommend it to you, but it's not exactly the close to town & beach location you're looking for. But rest assured, there are plenty of great places that you'll have a hard time choosing from. (And if you check out some other threads, you'll see we're all pretty into the great food on Isla, too)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Hello there! Isla might be a good fit for you. When do you plan to visit and for how long? Budget for that mid-range hotel? Any other specific amenities. There are many small, family owned hotels, which we personally enjoy more than the bigger hotels. There are also numerous apartments you can rent, which add another bit of local color as well.

I would recommend the mapchick map as well - more like a guidebook, as it lists every accommodation, eatery, and activity on the island - extremely helpful in planning a trip.

Here is a good link to many of the lodgings on Isla:

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/acomcentro.htm

Also, check out www.islamujeres.info - it lists many of the lodgings, and has a very active Q&A and chatter forum, which you may enjoy - I do! :)

There are several helpful agencies that book lodgings on Isla, which makes it very easy:

http://www.kathrynstravel.com/

http://www.morningsinmexico.com/

http://www.lostoasis.net/

http://islabudgetrentals.com/home

To get to Isla, it is easy to book a shuttle pickup at the airport that takes you to the ferry - cheaper than a taxi, easier than a bus: Best Day, Cancun Valet, Entertainment plus, AGI.

Hope this helps - if you need more info, just let us know! :)

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NON resorty accomodation

How about Isla Holbox? If he really wants to enjoy Mexico without any of his referenced dislikes, that would be a good choice also.

Art

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Newkie- you are right! I haven't been to Holbox, but I have heard it is like Isla Mujeres was 20 years ago. Only dirt roads and very undeveloped. Maybe they could try Isla for a week and then go to Holbox for a week? I want to get there someday as well.

http://www.locogringo.com/holbox/

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Hey Art,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been reading what I can find about Holbox online. It certainly seems more laid back and underdeveloped compared to Mujeres.

How much time have you spent there?

Seems we would take a bus from Cancun and then a ferry from Chiquila, correct?

Are there good places to eat & drink?

If you have ever been to Roatan, Honduras, that's exactly what we're trying to find. Laid back, sand streets, but still had great restaurants and bars. Plus we stayed in a spacious 3rd floor room with a kitchenette and a balcony overlooking the ocean for only $65/night.

Thanks again,

Roman

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Roman - there are several people on the Isla Mujeres forum that have been to Holbox and could answer that for you. Just post a question on www.islamujeres.info for those replies. :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NON resorty accomodation

Back in 1976, on my first trip to Cancun, you could rent a hamac right on the beach for >50 cents per night. Good old days at Isla Mujares...and the ferry back in those days was a large wooden boat, goats, chikens and locals were crossing on this long and entertaining trip. Have fun, you will remember those memories for the rest of your life.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NON resorty accomodation

I always recommend Nautibeach. Only 3 stories tall condo complex, georgous pool, Sunset Grill, right on Northbeach, and couple blocks to town.