We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

My family and I are headed to Isla Mujeres in the end of July 2009. We've heard good things about a lot of dive shops, with Enrique's and Crystal Divers standing out as two of the best. Both Emilio and Enrique have been responsive and helpfull with emails and I think they're both good. So, now I'm torn who to take my wife and two daughters diving with for our short trip.

We will not be taking our own gear for the first time, and renting BCD's and regulators. We did have a less than happy experience diving a year ago where the dive master didn't even know my duaghters BCD power inflator was stuck "on" and after wrestling with here to keep here at on the bottom while fixing her inflator her tank started to slip out of the straps. There were only the 4 of us and the dive master was in front, clueless of our struggles behind him. Only time we ever had a challenge but with it still in our minds we're really trying to find a quality dive operation, with dive masters that look out for their clients. So, if anyone can provide some insight on Crystal Divers or Enriques, or both, that would be great.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Question: Was your dive trip of last year at IM and if so, who was the operator? Experiences such as yours need to be turned into "lessons learned" so others can take heed. Also, I'd suggest taking your regulator and octopus this trip, since a person cannot know the quality or service history of the rented items.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Thanks for the insight. No, our not so great experience was in Belize. The operator was OK, but the fact the dive master wasn't paying attention on that one dive still hangs in the back of my mind. As for taking the gear, I would but Mexicana Airlines told me specifically that they have a $60 fee each way taking scuba gear even if the regs are in my pocession as carry on (which is how I always travel with them). So, at least two bags with gear each way means an additional $240 that would be better spent on something else...as long as the dive operators gear is in good condition and well maintainted. So, that's why I posted the question about the two operators that I've narrowed it down to.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bob

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Now that is seriously odd, the fact that regulators have an additional charge each way. If it were your tanks, I could understand. But, regulators pose no hazards of any kind. Go figure!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

My spouse uses Crystal Divers and has been very happy with their service. This was recently discussed on the www.islamujeres.info site . . . so you might do a bit of searching on their as well or post this question there. Good luck! :)

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

We just used Enrique over 4th of July weekend and were very satisfied. Top notch service on all fronts. Only 3 of us on 2 morning dives (plus divemaster), and only 2 of us (plus dive master) on afternoon dives. That is outrageous about Mexicana and the regulators. How are they going to know what is in your carry-on? We carried regulators a d BCD"s onto Spirit and no one asked about them.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Thanks for the help. I have to wonder if Mexicana really does this, but the customer service employee was clear in his chat email that this is the case. Hard to believe they know what's in your carry on because it's xrayed at security, not the gate.

But, less is good so we're traveling light.

As for Enrique, how was the boat? Also, if you have the time time to reply, do you have any suggestions for good dive sites you enjoyed last week?

Thanks!

Bob

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

I did some checking of my old travel documents from 2005 and saw where we had flown Mexicana on the Tex/Mex legs of that trip and I had packed my regs in my carryon with no hassles. In your case, I'd be more apt to believe the customer service rep was mistaken as to what regulators are. However, I remember our Mexicana legs to/from Cun had excellent in-flight service.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Enrique has at least 2 boats. The one we took on whale shark tour is very large with lots of extras. The one we used for diving is like a fishing boat with shade, a cooler to put your own drink in, though you might find a fish in it when you surface from your dive. Good ladder. Very simple. This explains how and why he accommodates such small groups. How old are your daughters? We dove Punta Sur and a wreck I can't remember the name of, with windows open and spotted eagle rays hanging around. Punta Sur had really strong current, you feel like you are flying like superman. Strong enough to be unnerving to me. I wasn't watching in front of me and literally crashed into a chunk of reef. No harm done to me, "sorry" to the reef, just lesson learned to look in front! Saw a handful of turtles in Punta Sur, other than that a lot of sand. The wreck was fun but also a new challenge for me, We "entered" the wreck meaning crashed into the openings on all sides getting in, got regulator hose stuck very temporarily on something

but could easily exit through "windows" on all sides if necessary. So mainly just something to get the nerves used to. At least 3 spotted eagle rays there, very large grouper as well. Then a surface interval at La Tigrena Restaurant, near where Enrique's desk is. Next dive was Pue*** something no one could pronounce followed by Bridges and Tunnels (something like that). Saw giant turtle sleeping under ledge, eels, shrimp, flamingo tongues. Good fun!

Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

Bob, will our travel dates overlap? We arrive in Isla on August 1st. There's three divers in our family -- one rescue, one advanced, and one advanced junior.

10. Re: Recomended Dive Shops in Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 05:18