We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo in Isla Mujueres

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
5 posts
Save Topic
solo in Isla Mujueres

Hey there:

So I've got a week booked for flight in and out of Cancun early Sept. No hotel plans yet -- was looking at Priv on Isla. Will I go crazy being solo on Isla for a whole week? I plan on renting a mtn bike to get around, and I understand there's daily yoga classes at Elements. Anyone have any input?

Thank you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,437 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

I don't think so - I know several folks on the www.islamujeres.info forum that travel to Isla solo. But I wouldn't stay in a big place - I would pick a smaller accommodation/hotel where you really get the chance to know people. Isla is a small island and filled with very friendly people - most welcome you into conversation or activity. Hop on to the Isla chatter page at the above website for some good feedback from other solo travelers. I think it would be great fun! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

I agree with Coalminer that you'd have a better chance of meeting and interacting with people at a smaller place than PA. Yes, there are yoga classes at Elements, it's also a very popular breakfast place, and they rent really nice rooms. Have you considered staying there?

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

You are absolutely not crazy for going solo to Isla!! We have quite a few friends that do. I also think Priviledge is not the best option for a single travelers, there are so many other options that are more suitable. As the last poster said, check out the rooms at Elements. Very nicely located, fantastic hosts, and the lodgings are secure and safe.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

I'd go solo in a heartbeat. Walk Hidalgo St. in the evening, plenty of places to meet folks from everywhere. Happy Hours at Jax or the beach clubs on Northbeach. Shop & restaurant vendors are all friendly, as are the waiters up and down Nbeach. Try a different beachclub each day, but don't forget about the south end also, Zama's, Hotel Garrafon, etc. Good bar at Soggy Peso.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

Isla is a wonderful place for a solo traveller. I did it a couple of time before I was married and they are very fond memories. I have not stayed at PA, but North Beach locations are great for the beach and walking around town in well lighted and populated areas.

You won't need a bike to get around town, as it's very pedestrian oriented. If you decide to tour the island with one, be careful of the giant speed bumps called "topes". Have a great trip.

Jasper, Georgia
Level Contributor
216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

CBSF, a friend and I will be there 9/4 - 9/8. If your dates are the same and you would like to have some folks to look up while there, send me a PM. I will send you back our names and where we are staying. Maybe we can all meet for a cocktail!

Mitzi

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

Go and have fun!

8. Re: solo in Isla Mujueres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 05:17