We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Choices

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Choices

We had breakfast in a very small local place downtown on our last visit 3 years ago. It only seated maybe 12-14 people. Their street was a side street from the main street running along the street where the ferry comes in.

Any new restaurants on the island for lunch or dinner opening within the last three years. We would love to hear some suggestions on your favorites. We prefer the median priced casual restaurants, especially if they serve fish at reasonable prices.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Choices

BoBo's across from Olivia's on Matamoros is getting raves. It just opened recently, is small but they have a few stools and outside tables. Seems perfect for lunch. They have (among other things) beer battered fish and chips with home made tartar sauce (65 - 95 pesos), you can also have it charcoal grilled if you don't like fried; giant fish tacos (70 pesos); salads (60 pesos), etc.

Mango Cafe is opening a new deli-style place, The Blue Iguana, across from their original restaurant on Jan 1st. Come to think of it, I'm not sure even Mango was there 3 years ago... my sense of time on Isla is very fluid, lol.

Across from Como No's on Hidalgo is a new Italian place, Maximum, getting good reviews. Home made pasta, salad, and dessert for 100 pesos.

Some changes in case you go looking for them:

M & J Cazuelas relocated from its original stunning position at Rocamar to the courtyard of the Hotel Xbulu-Ha on Ave. Guerrero. Food is as good as ever but the view took a nose dive :(

Color de Verano cafe is now closed and has been converted to apartments. :( :(

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Choices

There are so many wonderful places to eat in Isla - I really enjoy reading www.hollyeats.com. He has some wonderful reviews of places to eat on Isla. Enjoy! :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Choices

I agree that Holly's site is great but it's been almost a year since it's updated so the newest places are not listed and some old ones that have closed still are. So I tend to prefer people's input on forums to websites, because they're likely to be more up-to-date. But that's not to say Holly's list isn't helpful, just not the most current :)

Speaking of new places, I forgot to add Cafe Mogagua as a great new place for lunch. Loved their caesar salad with tons of shrimp. It's on the corner of Madero and Juarez, not Abasolo, as Holly lists it. Very cool place to just hang with a glass of wine before dinner as well.

Edited: 20 December 2009, 20:54
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Choices

You are right travelerNY - I like other input as well, but it is hard to list all the places I like on Isla . . . so I find his list handy to share as it is a good place to start. I have my favorites and then those on the want/need to try list. I can't wait to get their in February and start! :)

Muskegon
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Choices

We had lunch at Brisas (fresh seafood) and it was one of the most delicious meals ever. We enjoyed a great little table right on the beach after arriving to the island. We also enjoyed Sunset Grill's enormous coconut shrimp and seared tuna. Playa Lancheros Tik Xic fish is amazing.

6. Re: Restaurant Choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 05:16