We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

Hi there,

I'm hoping to plan my first ever trip to the Caribbean this year...and I think I have settled on Isla Mujeres for my first trip.

I can really plan the trip anytime this year. I was hoping a local would let me know when they think they best time to visit is?

Some priorities to me as a female solo traveler would be:

1. Peace and quiet. Relaxation. Not during the high season.

2. Less bugs (is there a bad bug season to avoid?)

3. Hoping for whale sharks, but I know they are during the summer only. Is it too hot or buggy in the summer to enjoy everything else?

Thanks so much,

flutter_girl

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

As you know, you will have to go during the summer to do a whale shark tour. Mid-July through August is generally the most active time for the migration. Stay on the Eastern (Caribbean) side of the island -- and not in town -- to catch the prevailing breezes. They cut the heat and blow away the bugs!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

My favorite time is early May, but then you won't get to see whale sharks. The island is quiet and peaceful, the weather is fantastic and not terribly humid, and not a bug to be seen.

Speaking of which, we had been to Isla in July as well as August, and while yes, it's hot and humid, but there's always a pool or the beach to jump in the water and cool off. But even then we were not bothered by any bugs. Maybe they don't like us :)

If you do decide to go in summer, I beg to differ about where to stay. For a first trip I would definitely stay close to Centro with all the restaurants, bars, shops, etc., and the beautiful swimmable beaches. The Eastern side is beautiful with views of the Caribbean but it's pretty removed from everything for a first timer and the beaches are not great for swimming (rocky and rough). From most places there you either have to cab it, rent a golf cart (expensive) or walk a mile plus more depending on where you are (murder in heat and humidity).

Edited: 20 December 2009, 15:31
Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

Thank you both for your quick feedback! I'm online researching now, so it is helpful.

Based on your feedback, I'm thinking early September will be best (after Labor Day) because less kids will be around, and I can still see the whale sharks.

So, then I go to read about hurricanes and according to this article, major hurricanes to hit the Yucatan in the past have been in September: yucatantoday.com/en/topics/hurricanes-yucatan

So, I find this frightening, and maybe not too wise for me to plan a trip in September.

Is purchasing travel insurance recommended to protect against my trip being canceled due to a hurricane?

Edited: 20 December 2009, 16:33
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

September is right in the middle of hurricane season which runs June through November. If you went in September I wouldn't plan so far in advance -keep an eye on the weather reports and slip in a trip when no storms are headed toward that part of the caribbean.

Denver
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

Hi mimac,

Excellent idea...I'm new to planning a Caribbean trip, so that wouldn't have occurred to me. I think I'll ask for the time off at work early, and I can change locations depending on the weather at the last minute. I do hope I can see the whale sharks none-the-less.

I've also decided to make a longer trip of it and tour the Yucatan peninsula for the first part of the trip.

I can't wait!

~ flutter_girl

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

Flutter_girl, I just read this at one of the operators of whale shark tours' website:

"Q. When is the Whale Shark Season on Isla Mujeres?

A. The official opening date for the Whale Shark Tour season as set beginning June1, 2009 and the closing date of the season is September15, 2009."

So if you go in early June, you still have good weather, kids are still in school, you get a more peaceful and quiet Isla with slim chance for hurricane, and a chance to see whale sharks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

First two weeks in December. Beautiful weather. After hurricaine/rainy (Oct and Nov) season. Not many kids because they are still in school. rates are good because it is before the high season of Christmas. Water is still warm.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

I like June, I like the water very warm :)

If you travel during hurricane season buy the cancel for any reason trip insurance. The thing about hurricanes is you usually know in advance when one may be heading to a specific area.

Another very peaceful time of year to travel is around the end of October, I've gone the last 2 years at this time and things are pretty quiet. But, there are restaurants that may be closed for low season at this time.

The whale sharks are awesome, if you go during whale shark season definitely do ti!

9. Re: Favorite time of year on Isla Mujeres?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 05:17