We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres

I am booked at the Excellence Riviera Cancun for March break and I am wondering if anyone has done a day trip to Isla Mujeres? There is an excellence resort (new apparently) there and I am wondering if there are privileges at both resorts. I would like to go for the day and rent a golf cart.

Any suggestions/recommendations/things to avoid??

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres

I have done a few day trips from Cancun to Isla. There are different approaches you can take.

Do a snorkel trip, where you'll sail over, snorkel for a half hour to hour, then go into town, have a nice buffet lunch with your group, then split up and explore for a few hours. Everyone meets back at the pier then you sail back over to Cancun.

The other approach is to take a bus or taxi to Puerto Juarez and take the ferry directly to Isla. Step off the dock and explore downtown, sample several beach bars on Playa Norte, eat lunch and or dinner at any of many wonderful restaurants, rent a gold cart and explore the southern portion of the island, then back across on the ferry and catch the bus back into Cancun.

All trips to Isla are worth your time. The first time I went over from Cancun, I was with a group of girlfriends and I just fell in love with this island . I took my husband back and he fell in love too. We've had the pleasure of vacationing on Isla 2 times now for a week each trip. We can't wait to get back.

Edited: 06 January 2010, 21:28
ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres

The Excellence Playa Mujeres resort is on the mainland north of Cancun, not on the island portion of Isla Mujeres. They are two very different experiences. ...about an hour apart by taxi and ferry. The resort is not near anything else except a few other hotels. The previous poster is describing a visit to the island.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres

Thanks Germond for the clarification. I've seen other folks on this forum assume the Excellence Mujeres was on the island. I would think they'd be terribly dissappointed if they booked there and then learned it was north of Cancun and not on Isla Mujeres proper.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres

People do day trips to Isla all the time from Cancun. I would recommend that you get a map of Isla Mujeres from the Mapchick - it would be a real asset for you. As well, you may want to go to www.islamujeres.info for more detailed info, trip stories and lots of photos. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres

Thanks so much for your input. My girlfriend and I are really looking forward to our march break!! We will definitely be taking the ferry over!

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres

Don't rush to do all that Isla has to offer in one day. Consider a stay over as there are numerous inexpensive places to spend the night in the downtown area.

Stay long enough to enjoy the sunset. You can do that right at the ferry landing over a drink in one of the beach clubs.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres

I agree that the best way to enjoy Isla is to take it easy and save some things for that next trip :) A nice stroll around Centro, a golf cart tour around the island with a stop off for lunch, then an afternoon spent on the beach followed by drinks and perhaps dinner, would make a wonderful day trip.

Take a cab to the ferry station, then once you arrive at Isla, walk around Centro, checking out all the little shops and restaurants, then rent a golf cart (prices are pretty much the same everywhere) and head South. If you wish, stop at Hacienda Mundaca and take a stroll, visit the monkeys who would really appreciate some grapes and/or bananas, so may pick some up in town before heading out :)

Continue South, and stop off at El Pueblito on your left (across from Hotel Garrafon de Castilla) and have lunch. They have terrific food and it's inexpensive. After lunch park your cart at Puna Sur, climb the light house, then take a walk down to the sculpture garden and the paths around the water. Really beautiful. Take the Caribbean route back into town, the views are awesome! Return the golf cart, then walk over to Playa Norte (or any of the beaches) and have a few drinks, hang out, take a swim, relax.

I would definitely plan on staying for dinner, and many of the seafood places along the road back to the ferry are really terrific and very reasonable. Miramar, Picus, Valezquez, Brisas, all have great food. Or if you may want to eat in Centro on Hidalgo and people watch.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres

I am staying in Puerto Moralos in Feb. and doing my Usual trip to Isla, except this time, we are spending the night. I cant wait.

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres

Do you taxi from PM to the ferry or take the bus? We too will be in PM for the start of our 18 day trip in April most which is in Akumal. We have stayed on IM the past two years but decided to try PM. But a day trip to IM would allow us to revisit.

australia
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres

Hi Read your comments on Isla Mujeres, trying to decide to stay there or Cancun for a week trip, is there enough to do there for a week? Travelling with couple of girlfriends mother in law and 14 year old son, I want him to have a great time. Thought Isla Mujeres would be more Mexican than Cancun.

Thanks Deb