We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

We have all our documents, tranfers to the ferry, Mapchick Map, every conceivable question about Isla answered thanks to these forums and that wonderful map. Now our only question to be answered for our trip to Isla in less than two weeks is:

How do we avoid bringing bulky winter clothing with us to Isla, while at the same time not having to freeze between when we park our car and get to the terminal building and when we return to face a possible drop in temperature of 30 to 50 degrees?

Anyone like to share their ideas here? I would feel like an idiot arriving on Isla with a down jacket in my bag and besides I like to travel light?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

ah - trust me, I can relate to your dilema! :) It is often about -40 either leaving or arriving at our airport. Most of the time, I leave the heavy duty winter coat in the car, and travel with a lighter weight coat. I wear jeans/layers for the flight (because most are cold anyhow) and carry a change of clothes in my carry-on bag. I change about 1/2 hour before we arrive in Cancun. But once I ended up dragging my big down parka to Isla because I forgot to put it in the car at the airport - what a pain to lug that thing around. I was often wondering what the maids thought of this huge coat hung in the closet! That is what I do - does that help? :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

Well, if the current cold weather on Isla holds don't fret, you will need those warm things.

Just kidding...HOPEFULLY!

We come from a cold climate also, we NEVER take winter coats. We layer and I make sure I have gloves and maybe a headband (hat for hubby) in my carry on. After years of watching folks trying to stuff big coats into the already stuffed overheads on the place, then looking absurd and feeling miserably hot in Cancun in sweatshirts and jeans (well....usually!) I cannot imagine wearing big bulky clothing.

Layer....it can be done, we do it. We may be a little chilly when we get home, we deal with it.

What we do......

Me....tank top in carry on, short sleeve t shirt, long sleeve t shirt, light weight capris or shorts, a jogging suit over it all.

Hubby....short sleeve t shirt, long sleeve t shirt, shorts, jogging pants and a light weight jacket (that doubles as a rain and/or cool weather jacket on the island.

We both wear socks and sneakers and have sandals in our carry ons, vice versa going home.

minneesota
Level Contributor
209 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

If someone is dropping me off I wear all my winter stuff to the airport then just leave it in the car, whoever picks us up brings it back. I wear a tank top under a sweatshirt and capri's. I usually wear tennis shoes and socks but that's a weird thing I have about flying, you could slip a pair of flip flops in your carry on.

Ummm, now you have me thinking warm thoughts.

kate

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

I dress for summer, wearing my coat in the car. Once at the airport my coat goes in the trunk, where I already have boots stored in case of an emergency. Coming home I just shiver til the car gets warmed up. It reminds me of just how lucky I was to get away for a bit!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,465 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

I wear a zippered sweat shirt over a t-shirt, which can then be tied around my waist once we land. Also, I have flip-flops in the outer pocket of my suit case, so I switch with the shoes I wore on the plane as well. Jeans are tolerable no matter how warm it is, so that's what I travel in usually, unless it's the middle of the summer. No matter how cold it is, a heavy sweatshirt and a scarf usually keeps me warm until I get inside the terminal. If someone is dropping you off, then do as was suggested: leave heavy coats, etc., in the car with them.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

Ditto I don't drag a coat, I've never regretted it even though I'm cold until we get to the car.

For my trip there I just wear lightweight cotton pants - the kind that button up to make capris, a t-shirt and jersey cardigan and tennis shoes. I get cold on the plane too. Upon arrival the sandals come out of the carry-on, and shoes and lightlight cardigan go in and the pants turn into capris! Good to go and I can head straight for my first Margarita when I get to my accomodations. This way I don't waste a pair of shorts or capris on the first evening.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 23:01
Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

When I travelled back and forth I would leave the winter coat in the trunk (in case the door locks were frozen, usually I could at least open the trunk). I always travel with an artic fleece cape, which serves to cover me as I go from the car into the airport, and then on the plane it's a blanket. I always had a t-shirt in my carry-on and would change in the airport once I cleared immigration (while waiting for my suitcases).

New England
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I particularly like the idea of wearing layers of clothing (adding or taking these away as appropriate) and also putting our coats in the trunk, as opposed to the car itself.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

I do like everyone else,- layers, and leave the coat in the car.

I also take a little travel blanket in my carry-on because I'm always cold on airplanes.

You will be a little uncomfortable getting to the car and until it warms up...just think warm thoughts :)

Fort Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you do with those winter clothes while on Isla?

We also travel from a very cold location (-20C) to the south for warm vacations. We generally leave heavy coats in the car.(On one trip we were overnighting both directions in city with more moderate temperatures, so left our winter coats at the hotel in that location.)

I use a thin pair of gloves and for the homebound trip try to remember to put them in my carry on, for deplaning and getting to the car.

I layer a jacket and sweatshirt over a t-shirt for later layering.

As a scarf, I use a "pashmina" type shawl. This can be used on the plane as a blanket, or folded for a pillow, then at the destination can be worn over a sleeveless top on chilly evenings or air conditioned tour busses.

Make sure to take your swim suits or at least shorts in your carryon incase your luggage is delayed or your room in not available on arrival.