We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The good, the great and the not so great

New England
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
The good, the great and the not so great

We used USA Transfers and were on Isla exactly fifty minutes after locating our driver at the airport.

Hotel Paraiso (booked through Islabudgetrentals.com) located a little out of the thick of it, next to the navy base was very pleasant for $50 per night in January. Could not understand why there were so many vacant rooms.

The aggressive nature of the vendors and restaurateurs was our single biggest dislike on Isla. We appreciate how competitive it must be for them, but it was a bit annoying for us.

Next time we would stay out of town, someplace like La villa Bella (which we visited for drinks) or the NEW Mar Y Sol. We like a little more peace and quite, though we would still visit Centro for dinner or to visit Sergio's Beach Club.

Yes, Sergio's Beach Club is everything it was promised to be and more! Great service, good drinks, decent food and a great location right on the corner of Playa sol and Playa Norte. Also it is reasonably quiet, except when the Cancun day trip tours arrive and they crank the music somewhat.

Can someone please help prevent some of these tour sharks from exploiting these helpless day trippers! some people we met on our flight back from Cancun, who were based there and visited Isla on day trips felt so ripped off on their tours, they vowed never to make a full vacation to Isla.

Our favorite place to hang out in Centro was Cafe Mogagua, which also gets our award for coolest T-shirts!

Our second favorite coffee shop was Cafe Hidalgo with coffee, crepes and croissants to die for.

Best Mojito was at Victor's Viva Cuba Libre (2 for 60 pesos) and El Patio was number two.

Best outdoor Centro dining was at El Patio.

Other great dining experience took place at French Bistro (Coq au Vin to die for), Rolandi (ice cream cake flambee), Comono (this is how Chili should be made) and Victor's Cuba Libra.

Biggest dining disappointment: Olivia's. Beautiful place, but food was for us overrated. Maybe we just didn't hit it on a good night (for us or them). Also the atmosphere of other garden settings such as El Patio was more inviting for us.

Best ice cream: Cool on Hidalgo. Their banana is the best single flavor I have ever tasted.

Best lower island eating and ambiance experience was at Tikin Xic Playa Lancheros.

Our favorite characters on Isla.

Most memorable characters on Isla: the cats, the lady who feeds the cats at night and the black dog one often finds near La Lomitas. Also "Roger" at Sergio's. He's the king of Playa Sol.

Most unexpected sight: The morning parade at the navy base we could see from our hotel room.

single most important purchase prior to visiting Isla: Mapchick's Maps are worth their weight in gold. If we had purchased one BEFORE we booked our hotel, we would likely have had a simple beach front rental lower down on the island.

My recommended way to spend a morning or afternoon. Rent a bike at David's and ride around the island, taking a few minutes to take in the sights and sounds of the Colonias. Stop for a drink (just one) at Oscar's which also has a very real island atmosphere to it.

Would we return to Isla? Probably, but next time we'll seek quieter refuge. For 2011 we return to Puerto Morelos. It's not a beautiful or as interesting as Isla, but it's got a more laid back vibe to it and the vendors wait for you to show interest in their wares.

I will also be posting individual reviews on many of the establishments we visited.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Great report DuncanH..

I got to spend some more time in Puerto Morelos on our last trip, and I agree, the vibe there is much more laid back and I really enjoyed it.

I love Isla Mujeres, but Puerto Morelos is very high on my list in the Riviera Maya

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Nice report...will check out those mojito's next week :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,519 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Nice report!

We also enjoyed Cafe Mogagua, especially later in the evening.

And I agree Roger is a treat!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Thank you for a great and detailed report. Mogagua is one of my favorities too and so is Sergio's. Sorry to hear about Olivia's... you're right, they must have had a bad night. El Patio is now definitely on my must try list, sounds great.

New England
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

I do hope my comments are helpful, particularly Isla newbies. I think in our case we made the wrong accommodation location choice. Isla has many sides to it and everyone should find their comfort zone. I have to say we were also blown away by La Villa Bella and a stay of a few days there in the future is a near definite. We particularly liked how close it is to one of the colonias.

One thing I will never understand however is how anyone could consider All inclusive in Centro. That blows my mind with those restaurants at ones beckoning. Even if we stay at the remotest part of the island next time, we'll certainly venture into town for some more memorable dining.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Duncan, I love Villa La Bella and often recommend it to my friends who want an excellent seaside B & B with helpful hosts . But of course it is three times the cost of Hotel Paraiso, so one should expect a very different experience! I don't blame you for second-guessing your choice of a budget hotel in town when Isla offers so many options at all price points. El Centro is the touristy, noisy part of Isla -- but Isla is so much more than that! And very peaceful once you leave El Centro. You are right... it is a pity that day-trippers who come on tours do not discover the whole island on their own, as you did.

Minneapolis
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Thanks for the report - I am interested in more information on Hotel Paraiso. Do the rooms have balconies? Can you see the bay from there? How were the mattresses? The staff? I like the location, just out of centro but still walking distance. Would appreciate knowing more about it - thanks.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
873 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Sorry to hear about your Olivia experience. It's one of our favorites while we are on Isla Mujeres. Playa Loncheros (or whatever it is called now) is our very least favorite. Just goes to show how diverse the island is and how it has something to offer for almost everyone.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

Thanks for your post. We will be there on 2/20 and will be sure to check out some of your recommendations.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,173 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The good, the great and the not so great

I really enjoyed your trip report - especially your honesty. I think that is really helpful, especially your viewpoint on how you want a quieter time. It is nice to know that is available on Isla - not every one wants a Playa norte or centro type vacation and I think that can be really helpful to people trying to plan a trip. Thanks for sharing! :)